Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default VB for Windows Phone 7 Goes RTW!

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...-tools-rtw.aspx

"Back in September, we released the CTP of Visual Basic for the Windows Phone Developer Tools. Today we're pleased to announce the immediate availability of the RTW version of the Visual Basic add-on. You can immediately download VB support for the Windows Phone developer tools. The big news is that you can now build and release Silverlight applications and games for Windows Phone built in Visual Basic to the Windows Phone Marketplace. In addition, we've spent time beefing up our VB for WP sample code. Check out new VB versions of our released samples on MSDN. We're extremely excited to officially add support for Visual Basic to Windows Phone, and we can't wait to see all of the new apps and games you'll create with it."

The VB Haters out there might not like it, but VB can now be used for Windows Phone development in a more polished form - Microsoft has released the RTW version of Visual Basic for Windows Phone! So all you VB coders, get your game on and code up some WP7 goodness!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Rtw?

WTF is RTW?

Sorry for the late post; ThoughtsMedia was blocked here before, but I see it's open now.

Steve

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Jon Westfall

RTW = Release to Web, because seriously, who buys physical copies of software anymore It's applicable when RTM (Release to Manufacturing) would be pointless / inaccurate.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
RTW = Release to Web, because seriously, who buys physical copies of software anymore It's applicable when RTM (Release to Manufacturing) would be pointless / inaccurate.
Ah, thanks. And is there a difference between RTW and General Availability (GA)? With RTM, there obviously was -- the product had to be manufactured before it could be available.

If RTW means the Internet (which it sounds like it does, as opposed to some internal testing site), it's a ridiculous term.

Steve

P.S. I buy lots of software on CD. In the last year or two, I bought at least a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade, Office 2007 Home & Student, Norton Internet Security/Utilities/Ghost and TaxCut in physical form.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Jon Westfall

I think RTW and GA are the same, if not, i can't think what the exact difference would be.

Taxcut used to be the only thing I had a CD for, but starting this year I opted to download the installer instead. My problem is that I've never had a good CD/DVD filing system, so the prospect of making everything downloaded media means I have better archiving / access options.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Pony99CA
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
Taxcut used to be the only thing I had a CD for, but starting this year I opted to download the installer instead. My problem is that I've never had a good CD/DVD filing system, so the prospect of making everything downloaded media means I have better archiving / access options.
Most CDs I just copy onto one of my 1 TB hard disks and run the installer from there. I also put the license key in a License Key.txt file just in case.

So it's the best of both worlds.

Steve