Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Samsung Focus Touch-Screen Mystery?

http://wpcentral.com/samsung-focus-...otato-or-glitch

"While the screen gets high marks, we are hearing rumblings that there may be a glitch with the touch sensativity. It seems that if you lay the Focus down on a cushioned surface (e.g. a couch) the responsiveness of the screen goes from really good to really bad fast."

How utterly strange - I've never heard of anything like this before. Any Samsung Focus owners out there care to comment? Can you reproduce this behaviour? I'd weigh in on this issue myself, but I'm still waiting for Rogers Wireless to sell me one of these phones!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon
Question Interesting indeed

When I first read this I thought whatever. This has to be made up but to my surprise I can duplicate this perfectly. When my phone is in my hand or a hard surface the screen responds excellent. When I place my phone on my soft coat it stopped responding. I am really amazed. The Samsung device is a really great device and works great but the screen does stop responding when placed on a soft area.

This explains why when I'm at home developing my phone seems to stop responding so well. It's because I lay it down on a piece of cloth to "level" out the back so when I touch the screen the phone doesn't wobble. It must be soft enough to make the screen to become a little unresponsive.

So interesting...

Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
kettch
Pupil

I can duplicate this. Also, if I reach out and touch the phone with my other hand while it is laying on the soft surface, responsiveness seems to come back. Some kind of issue with the way capacitive screens work in this device?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
robshobs
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettch View Post
I can duplicate this. Also, if I reach out and touch the phone with my other hand while it is laying on the soft surface, responsiveness seems to come back. Some kind of issue with the way capacitive screens work in this device?
I just tested and had the same results. If I touch the side of the device lightly, the touchscreen starts to work. The better the contact on the side, the better the screen works.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I got the same results when I placed the Focus on a bunched-up blanket. This is a curiosity and nothing more, and I guess we can follow the advice of Steve Jobs and don't hold it that way.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCannon View Post
When I first read this I thought whatever. This has to be made up but to my surprise I can duplicate this perfectly. When my phone is in my hand or a hard surface the screen responds excellent. When I place my phone on my soft coat it stopped responding. I am really amazed. The Samsung device is a really great device and works great but the screen does stop responding when placed on a soft area.

This explains why when I'm at home developing my phone seems to stop responding so well. It's because I lay it down on a piece of cloth to "level" out the back so when I touch the screen the phone doesn't wobble. It must be soft enough to make the screen to become a little unresponsive.

So interesting...
I duplicated this the day the article came out but when I try to show someone else the phone always works perfectly. I don't understand. ROFL LOLOLOLOLOL.

I can't duplicate it now for the life of me.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Krishna
Neophyte
Default Samsung Focus

Hi all,

this is because, the rouch screen of focus is very sensitive, place it on a couch n softer place, the static generated effects the electricity generated out of your body when you touch the screen. You must be aware that touch screens register movements on the screen when you touch then and then electricity is generated at that point.

Cheers
KK

Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 AM
zing43
Neophyte
Default found an interesting solution

I had the same problem when my phone was in a cradle I use in my car. I am also using the red case mate rear and side cover. Would sometimes work with out case mate and never with case mate. I thought it worked at first in the case mate, but the air has become dryer due to winter in PA. Read about static electricity, so on a whim put alum foil behind phone in case mate. Now touch screen works perfectly. Crazy, but must have something to with the Static electric.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
zing43
Neophyte
Default Cancel That

The foil has seem to have lost its affect, still looking for a solution

Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
zing43
Neophyte
Default Trying something new

I notice and it seems to be working when I have the earphone plugged into my car stereo input that I have no trouble using the screen