Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default The Return Of Antennagate: HD7 Edition

http://www.geekword.net/htc-hd7-dea...ip-antennagate/

"[H]ere's the thing - according to a YouTube video shown below which seems to be a convincing one, HTC HD7 does lose signals when you hold your phone in a natural way or you subject your handset to the death grip as you like to call it."

And here I am, just having gotten the HD7 - it's hasn't even been unboxed yet! So, has anybody else seen this same issue? And if so, did HTC and Microsoft have to follow Apple's script so closely that they've run into the same problem with the HD7 as the iPhone 4?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

I haven't noticed any problems yet, but then again I've been using a case with my phone.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan Galvan View Post
I haven't noticed any problems yet, but then again I've been using a case with my phone.
With the case it does not happen; without it my signal strenght drop from full to half.

I never noted it before but I checked right now and it is true. Said that I guess that it is not so much of an issue if you are in an area with good reception where I usually am; if the same drop happened when the signal strenght is in the midrange it could be a problem.
I verified that It happens with the following carriers: T-Mobile, AT-T and TIM.

It does not happen with my HD2, I wonder if the Focus, even thinner, has the same issue.

Last edited by Fritzly; 11-29-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
efjay
Theorist

Yep, happens every time. Just another reason I'm furious there is only one option for a WP7 device on T-Mobile, and the stupid US carrier situation as a whole which means you cant use the device you want on your carrier.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

You are holding it wrong Yes, I can make it happen. Yes I can also make it not happen. T-Mobile, naked HD7. BTW, I can make it happen on every single cell phone I have. Some you just have to hold it like you are going to squeeze the juice out of it. Fact is, the human body is an RF attenuator at the frequencies we are dealing with. It is fairly difficult to talk on a cell phone without one side up against your big fat head, and the other side covered by your hand. You can compensate for that by putting super sensitive receiver in there, but the better the receiver the more expensive it is. For other people hearing you a more powerful TX helps. It also flies in the face of the consumer protectionists who are concerned about radiating our brains. I find on the HD7, the signal drops when I cover the bottom half of the unit with my hand. So I hold near the top, and with fingers, not flat palm. Or if all else fails they have these new fangled Bluetooth thingies, or even wired headsets/headphones. The latter makes sense since many folks think their cell phone must also be their media device.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Yep, happens every time. Just another reason I'm furious there is only one option for a WP7 device on T-Mobile, and the stupid US carrier situation as a whole which means you cant use the device you want on your carrier.
Right now no you do not; said that the Focus should become widely available in Europe in December; with widely I mean no Carrier branded and SIM free not "unlocked".
I had bought the Focus through Expansys but because it was unlocked there were some functionalities locked and any future update would still be at AT&T mercy;
Yes sure.... "Waiting for Godot"...........

I am not going to pay $600 and still have to deal with Carriers.

My iPhone G3 had MMS enabled because it was Factory SIM free and not related to AT&T; if I remember correctly the units bought in the US did not have the functionality enabled for several months after it was launched.......

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
You are holding it wrong Or if all else fails they have these new fangled Bluetooth thingies, or even wired headsets/headphones. The latter makes sense since many folks think their cell phone must also be their media device.
Personally I am not a big fan of BT devices and prefer wired ones: while the issue is an open debate I prefer to receive as less radiation as possible....... just to be on the safe side.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

hmmmm... I have an HD7 Surround from Telus (unlocked and moved to Rogers) and I can't make any difference in the bars no matter how I hold it.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
hmmmm... I have an HD7 Surround from Telus (unlocked and moved to Rogers) and I can't make any difference in the bars no matter how I hold it.
People are different too. I'm one of those that can walk across a wood floor in bare feet and still conjure up a static charge to zap a doorknob with. May speak to my particular dielectric constant. You may have less water content. You one of those skinny guys with 1% body fat?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Okay I've tried it on mine - the drop in bars is real, but it hasn't affected my calls yet. I'm not going to panic just yet, as I always wrap my babies up in a case. But do keep the responses coming, if only to give feedback to HTC that they might want to rethink their antenna placement in future designs.