Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default Checking On Your Internet Connection Capabilities

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transp...snost.php#tests

"Glasnost tests work by measuring and comparing the performance of different application flows between your host and our measurement servers. The tests can detect traffic shaping in both upstream and downstream directions separately. The tests can also detect whether application flows are shaped based on their port numbers or their packets' payload."

Hooray!  It looks like I have a truly unfettered Internet connection!  Actually, I am satisfied to see that result as the method in which I have my Internet should guarantee an untouched pipe to the Interwebs.  Most consumer Internet connections in Canada do suffer from rate limiting at certain times of the day.  ISPs do it to help manage the huge increase in the demand for bandwidth on their networks, though some claim that certain rate limiting also allows them to position some of their other services, such as Video on Demand, more attractive.  The Glasnost tests look like they can be quite thorough for telling you just what you are getting, but it is unlikely that if your Internet connection is restricted in any form, that you will be able to do anything about it.