Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android News

Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Samsung To Focus On Windows Phone 7 Over Android in 2011

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest...117-247679.html

"Next year, Samsung will introduce 15 to 20 new smart-phone models using Android, Windows, and Brada operating systems. For every 50 smart phones using Windows, it will make 24 using Android and five using Brada."

While Samsung has put together a pretty impressive lineup of Android devices, it's Windows Phone 7 that they appear to be targeting in 2011, with approximately 50% more WP7 devices than Android coming out in 2011. So is it that they see WP7 as a superior platform, or just one they want to be as heavily invested in as they are already with Android?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Fritzly
Sage

"Dividi et impera"; they are taking advantage of the appeareance of an alternative OS to spill as much as possible from both.

Personally I found more intriguing what Steve Wozniak is saying:

http://www.neowin.net/news/steve-woz...of-smartphones

Not that I necessarily agree and discount Apple but still.....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Samsung themselves haven't issued any statements about upcoming product development. AsiaOne isn't their press agent. You'd think something supposedly as big as this would be in the Samsung press/press release area of their corporate web site, it isn't.

This isn't the first time misinformation is circulating the blogosphere, it won't be the last

Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

It's from The Nation, a Thai newspaper, and errr, there's not a direct quote from Samsung Thailand either.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

I think it's possible. It sounds like MS has been paying people to jump on board with WinPhone 7. Samsung has been pumping out great devices. Who knows how much MS would pay Samsung to make WinPhone 7 their "Primary" OS.

My guess is it won't last too long. Android isn't exactly loosing momentum and WinPhone 7 doesn't seem to be a huge success so far it seems to me.

I'd love to see WinPhone 7 kill off the iPhone as I think it's a much better OS, has great device options, and it doesn't leave every choice up to Steve Jobs.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
I think it's possible. It sounds like MS has been paying people to jump on board with WinPhone 7. Samsung has been pumping out great devices. Who knows how much MS would pay Samsung to make WinPhone 7 their "Primary" OS.

My guess is it won't last too long. Android isn't exactly loosing momentum and WinPhone 7 doesn't seem to be a huge success so far it seems to me.

I'd love to see WinPhone 7 kill off the iPhone as I think it's a much better OS, has great device options, and it doesn't leave every choice up to Steve Jobs.
WP7 has a window of opportunity now.....
Like it or not Steve Jobs is not stupid; if I can see that the iPhone UI is getting "old" he has seen it way before and I wonder what they are plotting for the iPhone 5; what I am pretty sure is that they will not repeat MS mistake and remain seated surrounded by a false sense of superiority and invincibility.

Last edited by Fritzly; 11-19-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Paragon
Magi

It always amazes me how a songle person, site, or blog can make a statement and by the end of the day it is all over the internet as "official" news.

Take this for what it's worth, because I can't find the link to support it, but Samsung did officially state they intend to be the number one OEM of Android devics worldwide in 2011. It seems to me to be a bit contray to releasing twice as many WP7 devices as Andoid.

Dave