Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default SkyFire Drops Windows Mobile Support

http://www.skyfire.com/press/blog/72-retirement

If you have been using SkyFire on your Windows Mobile device, which gives a pretty good browsing experience, especially compared to the built in browser, your days of enjoyment are numbered.

?

"Skyfire 2.0 is the world’s first hybrid browser, using the best of the device’s native browser, and adding a cloud "booster engine" for extra features like video and social networking. It is our flagship go-forward product, as we've reported publicly for months, since our Android launch. With that in mind, we are announcing that we will complete the phase out of our legacy v1.0 product on Windows Mobile and Symbian on December 31st, 2010 for remaining countries."

Bleh

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM
GreatDay
Pupil

That's all well and good (and I'm not even going to go there about we users who made it possible for them to develop to where they are), but why can't they allow us to use the damn version we have on these phones that will all soon go away as well. Suddenly getting messages EVERYDAY that "because of overload on our servers we cannot complete your request; please try again later" was a very lame way to find out something was rotten in Denmark (and surrounding villages). Grumble, grumble,whine,whine..........My entitlement gene is very annoyed, so I'll have to put him in a time-out.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
epdm2be
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to epdm2be Send a message via MSN to epdm2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDay View Post
That's all well and good (and I'm not even going to go there about we users who made it possible for them to develop to where they are), but why can't they allow us to use the damn version we have on these phones that will all soon go away as well. Suddenly getting messages EVERYDAY that "because of overload on our servers we cannot complete your request; please try again later" was a very lame way to find out something was rotten in Denmark (and surrounding villages). Grumble, grumble,whine,whine..........My entitlement gene is very annoyed, so I'll have to put him in a time-out.
They should at least made that final WM and Symbian version usable as a standalone product (perhaps without the need for a render-server). Now it's just bollocks, dropping us first time supporters like a brick.

Needless to say that I'll keep this in mind whenever I'm, inevitably, forced to go Android.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdm2be View Post
They should at least made that final WM and Symbian version usable as a standalone product (perhaps without the need for a render-server).
That is a whole different product though, and if you want that, try Opera. The problem is most Wm devices are underpowered to really render the way an iPhone or WP7 does. Some Wm6.5 devices have the power, but not all, and few before 6.5 can.

That is why Skyfire was so cool. It didnt matter what the processor, RAM or capabilities of the device was, the server handled it for you.