Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default ComputerWorld's Review Of Windows Phone 7 Crushing

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._Apple_iPhone_4

ComputerWorld has written a review of Windows Phone 7 pitting it against the iPhone in a number of categories.

?

It didn't fare so well, but consider that this is a 1.0 release vs a 4.x release for the iPhone. The success of Microsoft's platform is dependant on these deficiencies being overcome through a series of updates in the future.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 PM
ksb
Pupil
Default Reprint of InfoWorld hatchet job

This is just a reprint of last week's InfoWorld review from a writer who clearly dislikes anything that isn't iPhone, not that there aren't things legitimately wrong with WP7. (Search for the writer's iOS/Android comparison and look at the user comments there.)

Here are the dates, headlines, and a few sentences from the opening paragraphs of other articles that the writer wrote:

June 29, 2010: Windows Phone 7 in trouble? Microsoft backtracks on its clean break from Windows Mobile // Touted earlier this year as the successor to the much unloved Windows Mobile platform, Microsoft has gone largely silent on Windows Phone 7 since then, all but ignoring its great hope to stave off the iPhone at its recent TechEd conference.

July 15, 2010: Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster; Microsoft's demos of its great mobile hope shows Windows Phone 7 to be only a tepid knockoff of a 2007-era iPhone // There's no kind way to say it: Windows Phone 7 will be a failure. Windows Phone 7 is a waste of time and money. It's a platform that no carrier, device maker, developer, or user should bother with. Microsoft should kill it before it ships and admit that it's out of the mobile game for good.

It seems that Galen Gruman, an executive editor at InfoWorld, brings a lot of bias to his writing. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in his writing, regardless of who prints it.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
ksb
Pupil
Default Not to pile onto Galen, too much...

To be fair to Galen Gruman, he did write one mostly positive preview of WP7 back in March 2010. Below are heavily condensed versions of his opening paragraphs; you can find the full story at the InfoWorld site.

Don't faint in disbelief. But me, the avid iPod Touch user, I'm getting excited about Windows Phone 7...I like what I've seen so far. The new operating system uses a radically different approach to organizing information and apps. ...I think there's a good chance that Microsoft is on to something powerful and that will bring real innovation that matters to the mobile market. It could be as significant as Apple's original iPhone was... ...it's the first new major mobile platform that actually innovates in significant ways from the iPhone. Sorry, but Palm's WebOS and Google's Android are at best minor variations of what the iPhone brought to the table in 2007. They're me-too products, with some enhancements and some drawbacks. They don't break new ground, simply develop part of the ground that Apple broke. By contrast, Windows Phone 7 seems to be a truly new animal.

Of course, being nice to WP7 then meant kicking WebOS and Android, but you take what you can get. ;-)

Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
efjay
Theorist

Article by Galen Gruman = not worth reading.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 PM
jimmyfal
Pupil
Default Dumb...

I don't even know where to begin with the innaccuracies that are in that article. Not my job. That's your job Windows Phone Thoughts. You do it.

I lost count on page 4.

Computer World needs to change their name to Appleworld.
JF

Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

KSB, thanks for the background. Reading what this guy wrote in March compared to the nonsense during the summer makes me wonder if he was summoned back into the Infinite Loop during April and May for re-education.