Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Nurhisham Hussein's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,111
Default Is Windows Phone 7 Update Going To Be Different?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/cutt...ne-updates/2596

"Microsoft is in the driver's seat. They own the servers. They control the updates. But they also recognize they have partnership relationships to sustain, and they can't just push an update out that might affect a carrier's network. That would be stupid and short-sighted. Do you think Apple delivers an update to the iOS platform without making sure that their carrier partners have had a chance to test it for issues?..That's where the paranoia creeps in. And that question of the business model is what my friends Peter and Paul (and Adrian too) are missing."

Ed Bott takes aim at the critics - and he's not pulling his punches! There's a lot of angst over Windows Phone 7's update model - and understandably so given the slow and haphazard experiences that Windows Mobile owners were subjected to. Ed thinks Microsoft's approach is closer to the what Apple has done with the iPhone, but others think it's not much different from the way it used to be. What do you guys think? Sound off in the comments!

__________________
"A planner is a gentle man, with neither sword nor pistol.
He walks along most daintily, because his balls are crystal."
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM
benjimen
Intellectual
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 123

I don't think it'll be like it was with WM, neither will it be anything like iPhone updates. It sounds exactly like Android. Devices will receive updates for a year or so, none of them as timely as the users wish -- after that, you're out of luck
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 33
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
I don't think it'll be like it was with WM, neither will it be anything like iPhone updates. It sounds exactly like Android. Devices will receive updates for a year or so, none of them as timely as the users wish -- after that, you're out of luck
Can't happen. Microsoft has already stated that the carrier can only hold out for one update. When a new update is available Microsoft WILL push out up to the previous update no matter what carriers say. It's up to the carrier to test then tell Microsoft that the latest update is ready for their network.

I think with this mindset it going to require the carriers to be on the ball because whether they like it or not the update will go out so they better be ready.

The only part I don't like is the fact that they can hold out on the latest version.
__________________
Bobby Cannon
bobby@sharpdeck.net
http://www.sharpdeck.net

Last edited by BobbyCannon; 11-12-2010 at 01:32 PM..
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
stlbud
Intellectual
stlbud's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 238

Microsoft has done a lot of back pedaling on this issue. At first they said they were in control and would push updates out whenever they wanted.

These phones are not as equal as has been stated. The camera, for instance, is set by the manufacturer and they will be the ones issuing updates to the imaging software. So even if Microsoft wants to do something about imaging, they will have to wait. Other issues include slide out keyboards, Dolby speakers, etc. each of which is beyond Microsoft control.

I'm not as optimistic as some and am going to wait and see. I've been using Windows (CE, Mobile, etc.) since version 2.11. I've loved it all along until my last 2 devices. The experience with WM5 and WM6.1 has been miserable with many problems from reliability to features that don't work for various reasons.
__________________
Bill B

Zune Tag - therealstlbud
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCannon View Post
Can't happen. Microsoft has already stated that the carrier can only hold out for one update. When a new update is available Microsoft WILL push out up to the previous update no matter what carriers say. It's up to the carrier to test then tell Microsoft that the latest update is ready for their network.

I think with this mindset it going to require the carriers to be on the ball because whether they like it or not the update will go out so they better be ready.

The only part I don't like is the fact that they can hold out on the latest version.
Not exactly: what MS stated is that a non released update will be incorporated in the next one but nothing about the fact that release the latter will be mandatory for the carriers.

There is a lot of uncertainty about how the entire process will be handled and when you launching a new product the last thing you want is uncertainty. MS should states in a very clear way, not this kind of Washingtonian comments, how things will work. it is clearly in its best interest but..... are they in the position to do it?

The sooner they will do the better! It seems they have some momentum now and they should not let it go; the competition is not sleeping:

Exclusive: Samsung 'flagship' phone with Gingerbread and huge display coming in early 2011 (update) -- Engadget

Personally I never used an Android device but this, if it will be confirmed, is tempting....

Last edited by Fritzly; 11-12-2010 at 03:29 PM..
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
benjimen
Intellectual
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCannon View Post
Can't happen. Microsoft has already stated... [BLAH BLAH BLAH]
Yeah, right...
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM
randalllewis
Thinker
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
Devices will receive updates for a year or so, none of them as timely as the users wish -- after that, you're out of luck
And your conclusion is based on what? I going out on a limb here and guessing that Ed Bott's got a firmer understanding of the situation. Microsoft's description of what will happen is acutally quite clear. Unfortunately, some folks are seeking yes and no answers to a series of hypothetical questions that can't be answered that way.

Microsoft's history with software or firmware updates of its products is quite good: Windows, Zune players, Xbox, etc. Windows Mobile was the exception and that was because of several factors, but comes down in the end to the fact that no one party was ultimately responsible. With WP7, that is no longer true.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
And your conclusion is based on what? I going out on a limb here and guessing that Ed Bott's got a firmer understanding of the situation. Microsoft's description of what will happen is acutally quite clear. Unfortunately, some folks are seeking yes and no answers to a series of hypothetical questions that can't be answered that way.

Microsoft's history with software or firmware updates of its products is quite good: Windows, Zune players, Xbox, etc. Windows Mobile was the exception and that was because of several factors, but comes down in the end to the fact that no one party was ultimately responsible. With WP7, that is no longer true.
Same question could be asked about your statement; Ed Bott made his opinion based on MS comments about the issue; other people:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/u...carriers/10314

elaborated a different opinion.

As far as I am concern both opinions are valid and, at the same time, opinable; time will tell who is right.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 AM
randalllewis
Thinker
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Same question could be asked about your statement; Ed Bott made his opinion based on MS comments about the issue; other people:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/u...carriers/10314

elaborated a different opinion.

As far as I am concern both opinions are valid and, at the same time, opinable; time will tell who is right.

I'm sorry but that is a false equivalency. Bott and Hughes may both have blogs on ZD Net, but that doesn't make their commentary equal. And besides, that wasn't my point. I commented on somone unsubstantiated prediction that Microsoft would issue updates in a non-timely manner and only for a year before abandoning its users. My point, based on Microsoft's past practices, was that was highly unlikely.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM
benjimen
Intellectual
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
And your conclusion is based on what?... [BLAH BLAH BLAH]
This isn't a debate -- readers were asked what they thought would happen, feel free to post what you think might happen, otherwise, stfu
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:20 PM.