Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Samsung Windows Phones

Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Tethering Now Possible With a Samsung Focus

http://mobilitydigest.com/windows-p...-now-heres-how/

"Just minutes ago I posted about the possibility of tethering on Windows Phone and BAM I'm tethered! Patrick (from MobilityDigest as well as Xbox 360 Digest to name a few) gave me the login and password for AT&T tethering and once I put them in I was connected using my Focus and my laptop was on the web! And not just that, it's pretty easy. Note that for now this method only works for Samsung devices because you need to get into Diagnosis and we only know how to do this for Samsung. Nonetheless, the OS can tether so it's just a matter of time."

Not exactly a simple process, but if you really need tethering and have a Samsung Focus, well, now you can do it! Although if you really needed tethering you probably wouldn't have purchased a Windows Phone 7 devices, right? The good news is that we now know the OS is capable of it - it's just a matter of it being enabled by Microsoft and the wireless carriers.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Definitely agreed that it's not simple and I'm keeping my Fuze around so if it is absolutely necessary I can swap my SIM card out into that and tether through it. It's not sexy, but it's better than nothing. I'd love to have this work more smoothly so I could be back down to one device, but I can live with just having this around for a little bit.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
subzerohf
Intellectual

Is tethering hidden intentionally so that suddenly it becomes a "new" feature for upgrade?!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzerohf View Post
Is tethering hidden intentionally so that suddenly it becomes a "new" feature for upgrade?!
Of course not. You don't seriously expect an affirmative answer to that do you?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 AM
WellBeyondWell
Neophyte
Default Samsung Focus Tethering Disclaimer

One thing I found after successfully tethering with a Focus was that I was no longer able to sync to Zune. The posts indicated that you could possibly get around that by performing a wireless sync. However, Samsung today told me that functionality is not available on the Focus. Oddly, AT&T says that the wireless sync functionality is operational. Either way, I can�t wirelessly sync even though the phone and Zune see my wireless router. . .

I wonder if there is a workaround or if anyone else has the Zune sync issue after tethering. My Focus is going back to be replaced due to a number of other issues. Maybe my Zune sync problem after tethering is yet another little defect in my phone??