Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Should Your Next Mobile OS Cost You Money?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/...pdate-cost-you/

"All too often, the question isn't whether a particular device is great, it's whether the manufacturer and carrier have committed to upgrading it -- quite often to a version of its operating system that hasn't officially been announced. It's a recipe for confusion and paralysis among consumers that really don't have a great reason to be putting off their purchases -- they just want a reasonable assurance that their new phones aren't going to be regarded as "obsolete" in six or nine months. And why shouldn't they?"

A really thought-provoking piece from Engadget's Chris Ziegler - he proposes that, since smartphone hardware has largely plateaued in terms of baseline features, it's time to for software to take on a larger role in the ecosystem. Part of that is for companies to charge for new versions of an operating system. Myself, I'd have no problem at all with this - assuming, and that's the key word here, that operating system updates were delivered in a reliable manner that would work a variety of hardware...and would be unencumbered by mobile operator bloatware. We pay for new operating systems on our desktops and laptops, so why not on our phones? Vote in the poll that Engadget has set up - and sound off here on why you would, or would not, be willing to pay for a new OS for your phone.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

Maybe if it takes the ad's out of the apps

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I'm really baffled that no one (except one person) is expressing an opinion on this - I was sure it would generate some interesting discussion.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Down8
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Down8 Send a message via AIM to Down8 Send a message via MSN to Down8 Send a message via Yahoo to Down8

I'd pay a reasonable upgrade fee (like $10~25) if the updates got out faster. And were more complete.

Sadly, with XDA, the updates would be out & free immediately anyway. And I'd likely grab it from there, b/c it would have improvements the mfg/carrier wouldn't bother to fix.

-bZj

Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
TTown
Pupil

I don't think they should charge for the upgrades. They make their money on the masses. If they are perceived as having frequent updates that keep peoples phones current with the latest and greatest features and fixes, then they will attract the masses and when the customers buys a new phone (which they will) they wouldn't consider buying another operatiing system because they were very happy with their current one.

On the other hand if you do charge people for upgrades and/or don't upgrade the operating system enough and the masses aren't happy. Then they will shop around and probably buy a phone with another operating system that does offer free/frequent upgrades.

It's simple really. If you exceed the customers expectations, your future looks bright. If you piss on them, don't plan on staying in business long.