Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Dell Windows Phones

Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Venue Pro Video Unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIE...player_embedded

Curious about the new Dell Venue Pro? Here it is being unboxed, straight from being purchased at the Microsoft company store. This looks like a great device, but it's a crying shame about the 8 GB storage limitation. I find it really baffling that so many first-generation Windows Phone 7 devices are locked into that level of storage - sure, I know it's about cost, but is the BOM cost of an extra 8 GB really so high?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

Have you experienced the "WiFi bug" with it ?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 AM
paulperroni
Pupil
Unhappy MicroSD

Did I hear there is no MicroSD card slot?
Can that be possible??

Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
Have you experienced the "WiFi bug" with it ?
This isn't my video - I don't have a Venue Pro, though I wish I did.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulperroni View Post
Did I hear there is no MicroSD card slot? Can that be possible??
Actually, it turns out there *is* one, but it's under the warranty sticker - and by removing that sticker, you void the warranty. The Samsung Focus is one of the few devices that has a memory card slot that's easily accessible. Windows Phone 7 as a general rule doesn't allow removable storage, because even if you get a Samsung Focus and put in a microSD card, you'll have to leave it in there - the contents of the card are encrypted for speed and security.

The old way of using a storage card is no more...

Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 AM
paulperroni
Pupil
Default Seriously!

That is sooo disappointing!
One of my favorite features of Windows vs. Apple is the removable storage ability.
I transfer files from my laptop, to my camera, to my phone... You mean this will no longer be available? Or if I use it my phone's warranty is voided?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
The old way of using a storage card is no more...
I would rather say:

"The old way of using a storage card is no more... if you buy an iPhone and a WP7 device"; and about the latter I would also add "For the time being...... in the future who knows".

Besides it is very easy to replace the 16 GB SD card of the HD7 with a 32GB without removing the sticker and voiding the warranty....... Just look for the "how to do it" video.........

And speaking of the HD7: is it a "feature" of this specific model or all WP7 devices will turn on when you connect them to an USB cable to charge the battery? I even tried to connect it, turn it off after the device is connected and charging but no luck, it always restart........

Last edited by Fritzly; 11-10-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulperroni View Post
That is sooo disappointing! One of my favorite features of Windows vs. Apple is the removable storage ability. I transfer files from my laptop, to my camera, to my phone... You mean this will no longer be available? Or if I use it my phone's warranty is voided?
Yeah, I understand how you feel. My hunch though is that this isn't an issue for most people...but I'm going to do a survey to see if that hunch is correct (though I suspect the Windows Phone Thoughts readers might skew more toward the taking-out-the-card types).

The data on the removable storage card, if you happen to have a phone that has the slot in an easy-to-access place, is encrypted - so if you remove it, you can't read it in your laptop.

To move pictures/videos/music to/from your phone, you'll need to connect it to your laptop and use the Zune software.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Yeah, I understand how you feel. My hunch though is that this isn't an issue for most people...but I'm going to do a survey to see if that hunch is correct (though I suspect the Windows Phone Thoughts readers might skew more toward the taking-out-the-card types).

The data on the removable storage card, if you happen to have a phone that has the slot in an easy-to-access place, is encrypted - so if you remove it, you can't read it in your laptop.

To move pictures/videos/music to/from your phone, you'll need to connect it to your laptop and use the Zune software.
As I posted in a different trend my issue is not moving the card from a phone to a laptop or somewhere else; it is the ability to expand the available space....... without buying a new phone... (-:

How Dell decided to use 8GB only cards is beyond my comprehension.....