Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default An Interview with Andrew Brown About Windows Phone 7 Update

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcom...drew-brown.aspx

"Windows Phone 7 launched in Europe last month and is launching in North America next week. You've seen the commercials. You've seen the demos. But have you heard much about the update infrastructure we've put in place for the devices? Probably not. It's isn't as sexy as the glorious AMOLED screens some of these devices have to show off the "Metro" interface. There has however been some discussion on the update process, especially after it became apparent we'll be releasing some features after the devices are already in the field. You've probably heard about Copy/Paste, right?"

If you've already read my article on the new Windows Phone Update process, you'll know most of this, but it's an interesting interview nonetheless. What I didn't realize is that while Microsoft controls the update process, it sounds like the wireless carrier, or the device OEM, can bundle up whatever fixes they want, they hand if off to Microsoft for distribution. Likewise, if Microsoft wants to fix some code with one of their own apps - or the core OS - they put it in the pipeline. Like I said in my original article, this is the update process we've been wanting for, oh, a decade now...

Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
What I didn't realize is that while Microsoft controls the update process, it sounds like the wireless carrier, or the device OEM, can bundle up whatever fixes they want, they hand if off to Microsoft for distribution. Likewise, if Microsoft wants to fix some code with one of their own apps - or the core OS - they put it in the pipeline.
In the previous article:

"We're also making it much easier on our partners (OEMs and Mobile Operators) by establishing a single, consistent update process that they can take advantage of, meaning they don't have to be responsible for their own individual update creation and delivery like they've had to do in the past."

"[But] OEMs and Mobile Operators can submit their own update code as part of an overall update that is delivered through Microsoft Update."

I thought this was already clear from that article.