Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Trophy Impresses Despite Small Size

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/...-trophy-review/

"Yet even with middling hardware and a brand new version 1."0 Microsoft OS that is clearly lacking the maturity of iOS or Android, it's simply hard to resist this sleek little lightweight gem of a handset running a very promising -- and dare we say fun -- take on the mobile OS experience. Try as we might, we can't put it down even though we have an iPhone 4 and Galaxy S at our immediate disposal. The HTC Trophy may not be our smartphone champ but it's definitely a winner."

While it may not have as large and visually enticing screen as some of the 4.3" behemoths out there, the somewhat more diminutive HTC Trophy has been packaged in such a way that Thomas Ricker over at Engadget really liked his evaluation unit. The Trophy's specs can be summarized as:

• 480 x 800 pixel resolution capacitive screen measuring 3.8"
  • 1GHz Snapdragon (QSD8250) processor
  • 802.11n 
  • WiFiBluetooth 2.1 with EDR
  • GPS
  • FM Radio
  • 1300mAh battery
  • 8GB of fixed flash storage, 512MB ROM and 576MB RAM
  • 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash
  • 720p video recording capability

While not all that different in spec from most of the Windows Phone 7 handsets that have already made their way to market, it is the total packaging of construction quality, feel, performance, custom HTC apps, and, well, the total user experience, that tipped his impression to the favorable category. It's a nice review of a phone that may just be the sweet spot for a number of potential purchasers.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
tal
Pupil
Default Trophy vs. LG Optimus 7

Nice review. I had the same choice as mentioned at the end: LG Optimus 7 or HTC trophy and as the reviewer I oppted for the LG Optimus 7 because of the better build / high qualitity feeling, increased storage, higher capacity batterie, narrower form factor (feals more phone-like in my hands and is easily pocketable) and the hardware buttons.

The screen of the optimus is just normal LCD which results in a not so good viewing angle but it is very bright and I liked it more than the Trophy's when comparing it in a shop (unfortunatly i hadn't a chance of comparing them in direct sunlight). I also like the responsiveness of the LG's screen.

So far I must say that LG with Widows Phone 7 is a great phone - infact the best (at lest most fun ) I've had so far. What isn't so great (hardware wise) is the camera (especially for indoor shots of people with its flash - but I really don't know if other phone cameras are that much better and I might be spoiled by my "real" camera).

Nevertheless the Trophy seemed like a nice phone too (I don't get why in Europe most phones have only 8GB ) and thanks to WP7 you really get an increadible fast phone with already lots of nice apps (IMDB, eBay, MSN Movies, Lyrics Now, Shazam). WP7 is so much fun to use that I gladly overlook its current limitations (I hardly had situations where I needed Copy&Paste). Probably my biggest missing features are teathering and categories in contacts which I hope they'll add soon. All in all WP7 really don't feal like a Microsoft product in a good way: it is extreamly pollished and stilish (makes iPhone really look old and cluttered) and it just worked hassle free out of the box