Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Let Dropbox Know You Want a Windows Phone 7 Client

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php...=13#post-164410

Are you a Dropbox user? Would you like to see Dropbox functionality on your Windows Phone 7? I know I sure would, so let's let Dropbox know that this is something we'd like to see by posting a comment in this thread on their site. You only need to have a Dropbox account to post a comment - and if you don't have one, use this link to sign up (you'll get an extra 250 MB of free storage, and so will I). Lastly, the video above is of a third-party Dropbox client - Cloudfiles - that's in development for Windows Phone 7 - it looks pretty cool.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Neophyte

While the functionality seems great, the UI demonstrates everything that can go wrong when MS is not strict enough about the UI guidelines:

1. Wrong font. Come on, Tahoma? Is it still Windows XP era?
2. Excessive amount of animation. And to make it worse, the animation is pretty slow, probably because the programmer wants to show off.
3. All the wrong margins and paddings in the files list. Item size way too small for fingers to select.
4. Icons that came right out of 2003.
5. Font size only works on the developer's monitor, but on the phone it will be too tiny to squint.

For that reason, I request for an official Dropbox app.

Last edited by 037; 10-26-2010 at 04:28 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
5. Font size only works on the developer's monitor, but on the phone it will be too tiny to squint.
To be fair to the developer, it's hard to properly develop apps without hardware - I'm sure we'll see a second wave of app updates after developers get hardware in their hands over the next couple of months.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
To be fair to the developer, it's hard to properly develop apps without hardware - I'm sure we'll see a second wave of app updates after developers get hardware in their hands over the next couple of months.
Hmm... I beg to differ. In Expression Blend, Microsoft provided all the default font size static values for the design of the UI. If the developer actually picks those values, even the smallest wouldn't be that small.

The problem here is that the developer did not even bother to read the User Experience Guidelines, and that tends to be the problem with Windows developers when compared to OSX/iOS developers.

It's hard to appreciate the value of design, until a couple months later a competitor with proper design came along and take away their market share.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Sugarsync already has a Windows Mobile client. I am hoping a Wp7 client is in the works. It will be very different though since there is no file system fo the user to expore.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

OK, looks like you need to vote here if you're a Dropbox user:

https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/3052...ndows-phone-7#