Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Hands-On with the HTC 7 Mozart

Choice is good. No, choice is great! But in looking at HTC's Windows Phone 7 devices, you could be forgiven for thinking that the paradox of choice is entirely applicable. Specs-wise, they're almost the same. That makes decision-making inherently tough. But there are features that differentiate each from the other, and perhaps the most defining features on the HTC 7 Mozart is the 8-megapixel camera with Xenon flash and the 3.7" display, which, being the second-smallest of the bunch, makes for some pretty impressive pixel density. How does this beast look and feel in the flesh? Read on to find out!

There's a sense of satisfaction to be had when handling the Mozart box for the first time. It's clean. It's minimal. And it contains one of the first Windows Phone 7 devices available on the market. Inside the box, there's a charger, a USB to micro-USB cable, a 3.5 mm stereo headset, more documentation than you'd ever want to read, and, of course, the Mozart itself.

Now, handling the Mozart for the first time is equally as satisfying. This device oozes beauty, and is arguably the best looking of the bunch with its unibody brushed aluminum chassis and rubberized battery/SIM cover à la Nexus One. If you divert your eyes to the shots below, here's how the Mozart (left and top) stacks up against the Nexus One (middle) and the iPhone 4 (right and bottom). As you can probably tell, size-wise, it's only just a hair thicker and taller than the Nexus One, and just a tad larger overall next to the iPhone 4.

As for the placement of objects, there's the 8-megapixel camera with Xenon flash, speaker, and somewhat subtle branding on the rear. On the left, there's a volume rocker and micro-USB port. On the right, there's a camera button. On the top side, there's a 3.5 mm headphone jack and a power button. And on the bottom, there's a microphone.

Now, let's bring our eyes to the front. Seated just on top of the display is a grill for the earpiece, which also happens to house LED indicators. Below the display, there are three backlit touch buttons characteristic of Windows Phone 7 devices. And then there's the display itself. It's gorgeous. Pixel density is relatively high. Blacks are blacks (not quite AMOLED-ish black, but black enough). Whites are whites. Colors simply pop. This is a display that really makes you appreciate the Metro UI.

The auto-focus camera is, perhaps, the Mozart's most identifying feature. Its eight megapixels eclipses HTC's other Windows Phone 7 devices, and its Xenon flash is considerably bright. But while all that may sound impressive, in practice, it's anything but. In almost all sample shots taken (the shot below is a pick from the bunch), images appeared slightly dull and washed out. And the camera software is about as basic as it gets. Settings for ISO, EV, sharpness, and what not? Sorry, you won't find it on the Mozart. And the advertised 720p video recording? Yes, it works, but expect considerable frame rate reduction in low-light scenarios. Compared to, say, the iPhone 4, HTC has a lot of work to do if it's to make its camera hardware and software as compelling in practice as it seems on paper.

I won't cover the software in great detail. The OS itself, with its pros and cons, has been covered here on Windows Phone Thoughts before. What is worth highlighting is the bundled manufacturer and carrier apps. First of all, there's the beautifully-designed HTC Hub. If you've owned an HTC Sense-equipped device before, then the Hub should feel familiar to you. It includes a clock, weather, stocks, sound and photo enhancers, notes, a converter, and a portal to games and other apps, all behind a gorgeous UI complete with spiffy animations. Moving on to carrier apps, the Telstra-branded version of the Mozart includes a FOXTEL Guide and a portal known as TelstraOne, which offers all-in-one access to BigPond services such as news, sports, movies, weather, Yellow Pages, White Pages, AFL, NRL, and much more. And rare for most carrier apps, TelstraOne is actually a marvel to look at and use.

The Mozart is by no means perfect. HTC clearly could have given the camera more attention. More storage space beyond the included 8 GB would have been nice, too. But all things considered, there's no denying that this is one gorgeous device, and it's one that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending. Want one? Here's where it gets interesting, especially if you're US-based. Officially, the Mozart is an Australian and European release. While I can't speak for the European version, the Australian version featured in this review is sold unlocked by Telstra, is available contract-free, and operates on the 850 MHz 3G band, so if you have a knack for importing and don't mind being bitten by the near-parity AUD/USD exchange rate, go for it.

Darius Wey is a designer, developer, and Microsoft MVP based in the sunny coastal city of Perth, Australia. He previously worked as a Software Engineer at IBM and served as the News Editor at Windows Phone Thoughts for many years. Today, he runs Codesparq, a business specializing in the design and development of mobile applications.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Nice overview Darius! Seems like a decent phone, though shame it only comes with 8 GB of storage. I'm quite surprised we're only seeing 8 GB and 16 GB models rather than 16 GB and 32 GB models. 8 GB seems so...2008.

And what sort of raunchy "entertainment" do you Aussies get on your phones down there?

Old 10-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Nice overview Darius! Seems like a decent phone, though shame it only comes with 8 GB of storage. I'm quite surprised we're only seeing 8 GB and 16 GB models rather than 16 GB and 32 GB models. 8 GB seems so...2008.
I agree. Especially with accessible SD storage slots being as rare as hen's teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
And what sort of raunchy "entertainment" do you Aussies get on your phones down there?
It's Australia. Be prepared for anything.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Rethink
Pupil
Default Telstra only???

Now I have been eyeing of a nice Win Phone 7 for a while, feeling ready to take the next step in my smartphone life. I have followed all the huh ha in the lead up to the release, I have seen and heard from the companies that are going to sell these phones but guess what....
It's only Telstra that is selling them currently, Optus and Vodafone has made press releases saying they will be selling these phones but in going into to shops and checking their respective websites there's absolutely nothing that indicates they have a Windows Phone 7 for sale or are going to have them in the near future..?
Telstra is the only provider that is offering a web page and are willing to show case the phones in their shops, I have been into several Optus and Vodafone shops where I have been met with blank stares when I mention Windows Phone 7.
Jason and/or Darius is it possible for you follow up and see what is happening? It's quite frustrating that the major carriers announce the availablility and even their sales packages but does not actually sell the product.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethink View Post
Jason and/or Darius is it possible for you follow up and see what is happening? It's quite frustrating that the major carriers announce the availablility and even their sales packages but does not actually sell the product.
I don't have any particularly good insight into what the carriers are doing (perhaps Darius has Aussie carrier contacts; I don't) - in Canada for instance, I know Rogers Wireless is going to launch the Samsung Focus, and maybe another WP7 phone, but so far their PR person can't give me any details. I think it will take a month or two for things to firm up - but the best way you can let these companies know that you want WP7 is by asking them.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
It's only Telstra that is selling them currently, Optus and Vodafone has made press releases saying they will be selling these phones but in going into to shops and checking their respective websites there's absolutely nothing that indicates they have a Windows Phone 7 for sale or are going to have them in the near future..?
Vodafone has the Trophy available for order, while Optus has the Optimus 7 and Omnia 7 available for pre-order. And Telstra will have the Optimus 7Q soon, alongside the Mozart which they're already selling. The HD7 is expected early next year.

Quote:
Telstra is the only provider that is offering a web page and are willing to show case the phones in their shops, I have been into several Optus and Vodafone shops where I have been met with blank stares when I mention Windows Phone 7.
Unfortunately, store staff are generally pretty clueless when it comes to product availability. I've heard that most of the WP7 offerings from Vodafone and Optus should appear in-store in early November.