Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Come Spend an Hour With Windows Phone 7

Two days ago, guess what showed up? A prototype LG device running the final software build of Windows Phone 7. I used the device for a day to get somewhat familiar with it, then last night began shooting and editing a series of videos. Six videos, and just under an hour of footage on a variety of aspects of this software. Remember, this is prototype hardware, so the focus is on the software. Post questions - I have the device until next week, at which point it goes back to Microsoft Canada, but until then I'm happy to answer any questions I can. I'm also likely going to shoot one more video, something that sums up my experience using it for a week.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 AM
efjay
Theorist

Good to See they havent Forgotten about you! Only thing I want to know is A2DP supported, and how good 5 the Zune software when converting movies.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 PM
QuackFu
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Good to See they havent Forgotten about you! Only thing I want to know is A2DP supported, and how good 5 the Zune software when converting movies.
Yes, A2DP is supported.

As for conversion, I think Zune desktop does a fine job of converting videos to a compatible resolution/format. I guess it's a subjective comment though without better clarification for what information you're looking for.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Richard76
Intellectual
Default Excellent Walk-Throughs!

Once again, thank you for the informative videos on this new platform. Integration of most elements is tighter than I had anticipated too.

With respect to the Zune hub, can you offer any advice for anyone contemplating a move over from that fruity competitor. More specifically, copying/transferring non-DRM content from iTunes over to Zune Desktop.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard76 View Post
With respect to the Zune hub, can you offer any advice for anyone contemplating a move over from that fruity competitor. More specifically, copying/transferring non-DRM content from iTunes over to Zune Desktop.
As long as the music isn't DRM'd, you should have no problems at all - you can just point the Zune desktop software at your iTunes folder, and it will scan it all. Movies/TV shows of course are DRM'd, so there's no solution there.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
As long as the music isn't DRM'd, you should have no problems at all - you can just point the Zune desktop software at your iTunes folder, and it will scan it all. Movies/TV shows of course are DRM'd, so there's no solution there.
Is any iTunes music DRM'd? Didn't think I could get it without buying it, and I get a DRM free file when I do. That's an issue moving from Zune to Apple I think. I do have Zune downloads that are, and those that aren't DRM'd. The DRM'd tracks are the ones I get based on my $15/mo Zune pass. The good news is Zune puts the DRM'd stuff in a different folder than the purchased stuff so it easy to differentiate. That's in the file system, in the Zune interface they are just all there. Music is actually the least of your worries when switching from Fruit to MS. I will tell you playlists are a challange. Easier to just re-create IMHO.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Is any iTunes music DRM'd? Didn't think I could get it without buying it, and I get a DRM free file when I do
Not any more, but it used to be prior to 2009 or so. Look up "FairPlay" and you'll learn about iTunes DRM. All music used to be DRM'd, then they transitioned to "iTunes Plus" tracks where for something like 30 cents more you could convert your DRM'd track to a DRM-free AAC file. Then they moved their entire library over to a DRM-free format.