Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default What's Wrong With RIM

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.c...kberry-and.html

"In my opinion, RIM's real problems center around two big issues: its market is saturating, and it seems to have lost the ability to create great products. This is a classic problem that eventually faces most successful computer platforms. The danger is not that RIM is about to collapse, but that it'll drift into in a situation where it can't afford the investments needed to succeed in the future. It's very easy for a company to accidentally cross that line, and very hard to get back across it. There's a lesson in RIM's situation for every tech company, so it's worthwhile to spend some time understanding what's happening."

Michael Mace is a smart guy; I've even had the pleasure of exchanging jabs with him right here in our forums back when he was the Chief Competitive Officer and VP of Product Planning at Palm. I've always respected him, and if RIM knows what's good for them, they'll spend a week slowly parsing his analysis of their future - then hire him to help them avoid it. There's some connection here to Windows Mobile as well; Microsoft saw the writing on the wall as Windows Mobile declined, and made the hard step to start over.

Short term, it alienates some of the customer base, and is missing key features, but long term, Windows Phone 7 is a platform that Microsoft can ride for many years to come. RIM hasn't learned that lesson yet; every Blackberry I see is, under the surface of the glossy menu, still a glorified pager. RIM does some things very well, but will that be enough to allow them to keep growing two years from now? I think the answer is probably not...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I'll say right off that I know very little about Blackberry devices. My little brother has used them for years, and loved using them, but I've never so much as typed a word into one. But just a couple of days ago while riding a bus, the woman next to me was working on a large document on her Blackberry. The thing had a HUGE screen with gorgeous resolution and saturation/contrast. Shades of iPhone screen quality there. The predictive text input with the on-screen keyboard seemed to just breeze along for her fingers, responding instantly to every character tap, though her input looked rather vague, without obvious effort being put into accuracy. She was jumping around to various places in this thousands of words long doc, cutting and pasting text blocks, entering new sentences, and all the while keeping her infant daughter in the stroller next to her entertained with conversation and snacks. She interrupted her editing a couple of times to look at email, then returned to where she was in the doc... not sure if those things allow multi-tasking, but it sure looked like it. Zero delay, I mean 1/10th of a second at most when switching applications and nowhere near that long with input.

I've seen a lot of iPhones in operation - my clients generally use them, as musicians generally seem very happy with Apple products in my experience - and have never seen this kind of speed, though an iPhone can generally appear to run more smoothly than any Windows Mobile device I've handled. Seems to me that with a user experience like I saw the other day, and a brilliant, beautiful screen (at least 4", perhaps bigger), Blackberry is likely to be popular for a while yet.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

That is a great bit of analysis, and is a pretty good example of how to read financial statements to derive management decisions.