Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Phone 7 Purchase Survey

I'm curious about whether the readers of Windows Phone Thoughts will be purchasing a Windows Phone 7 device before the end of the year - presuming that they'll be available in initial launch markets before the end of the year, are you planning on purchasing one? Vote in the poll, and post a comment if you want to add further context.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
brianchris
Philosopher

I've been saving an upgrade for WP7 My first choice is the Dell Venue Pro, but I'm on AT&T and won't be switching. So I'll either 1) Purchase the LG Quantum, 2) Purchase the Dell Venue Pro off contact, unlock it, and hope the 3G frequencies are compatible with AT&T, or 3) wait and see if T-Mobile loses any exclusivity on the Dell Venue Pro (quickly) and it shows up @ AT&T also.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 AM
kerrins
Ponderer

I'm just too frustrated with MS Mobile operating system. No cut and paste is just without a doubt a bad thing to omit. There are also other issues with limiting how I can download SW (same reason I don't want an iPhone).

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 AM
efjay
Theorist

WP7 is going to do everything I do on WM 6.5 worlds better, so I am switching as soon as I can get my hands on the Dell Venue Pro.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 AM
mike6024
Ponderer

There's not an appropriate answer for me. I would totally buy a WP7 phone, but I'm on Verizon, so that's not an option for me until sometime next year.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

HD7 Here, will keep the HD2 until tethering is available for me. Switching ASAP so I have a device to develop on.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Glohamar
Intellectual

I voted for end of year, but Sprint won't have a WP7 device until early next year. I will get it as soon as it is out. I am still using a HTC Touch Pro and I am patiently waiting for WP7.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Stinger
Thinker

I think I'll wait until the second generation of devices before making a decision. By then, we should have a good indication of the quality of apps being developed for WP7 and how quickly Microsoft will be releasing updates.

The problem is, once you buy into the Apple ecosystem (as I have), it's hard to get back out of it. Transferring all of my media to the Zune software would be a nightmare and I'd lose all of the apps that I've already bought. I'd probably have to buy a WP7 device and an iPod touch.

However, if my employer wants to buy me a WP7 device, I'd gladly use it.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

I had a (pre-phone) BlackBerry ages ago, and have been a PDA user (HPLX to Newton to WinCE & Psion & Palm and so on) for 20+ years now. For cell I always had a basic phone.

Since I had WiMo 6.1 on my Dell Axim x51v and was quite happy, I figured I'd try a HTC Touch Pro 2 as my first smartphone ... and it was the most abysmal thing I could imagine - everything about it felt wrong and kludgy and performance was dreadful. Went to a Droid and it was a whole different world.

I know this is a whole new OS, but:
- the OS is demonstrably (and undeniably IMO) 'undercooked'. Comparing to iPhone 2007 choices shows how backwards the thinking is - 2 years in mobile terms is an eternity.
- the 'today screen first' mentality is still there (not bad necessarily)
- they failed to get the #1 US handset maker (Moto), who was largely responsible for the massive success of Android
- they failed to get the #1 US carrier (VZW)
- the games they have are 2008 iPhone retreads so far

So there is really no rush in getting it ... as there is nothing to show it will be anything beyond what Palm managed to do.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6024 View Post
There's not an appropriate answer for me. I would totally buy a WP7 phone, but I'm on Verizon, so that's not an option for me until sometime next year.
Oh yeah, that's a good point - I forgot about you poor CDMA guys. Our CDMA carriers here in Canada have transitioned to the GSM technology tree (HSPA I think?) and now they use "GSM phones" rather than CDMA phones.