Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Steve Ballmer & Windows Phone 7 on the Today Show

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2618489...612930#39612930

It's a short couple of minutes, but Steve Ballmer was on the Today Show beating the Windows Phone 7 drum. I'm not sure how well he did in terms of explaining or showing what makes Windows Phone 7 different, but when the host decides he's going to be the "tough guy" by starting out the interview hammering on Ballmer about not getting his full bonus, I guess we should be lucky that he left any time left to talk about the product...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

It's suprising how little the WP7 hoopla was covered in mainstream media. MSNBC had a couple items, understandable considering that MS and NBC are operationally intertwined.

CNN carried a story regarding the pending press event today, but then nothing after the fact. I'll bet the day devices go on sale will be a non-event, we're not likely to see news anchors on site to cover multi-block long lines of anxious consumers, though I doubt there will be such lines -- maybe WP8?

They'd have done better had they brought in the clowns

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
It's suprising how little the WP7 hoopla was covered in mainstream media. MSNBC had a couple items, understandable considering that MS and NBC are operationally intertwined.
I don't watch enough US-based news to understand how this measures up; other than Apple products - which always get far more attention than they should - how does the coverage of WP7 compare with announcements from RIM or Google?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I don't watch enough US-based news to understand how this measures up; other than Apple products - which always get far more attention than they should - how does the coverage of WP7 compare with announcements from RIM or Google?
Not sure about that, I'd say on par with RIM, but not as much as Google. RIM doesn't have much consumer-appeal.

In retrospect, I'd say that Microsoft's inappropriate use of the Angry Birds logo has received far more mainstream coverage than their product launch. Consequently, more people now at least know what WP7 is and won't be first learning of it when they run into the devices at a carrier's store come November.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
In retrospect, I'd say that Microsoft's inappropriate use of the Angry Birds logo has received far more mainstream coverage than their product launch. Consequently, more people now at least know what WP7 is and won't be first learning of it when they run into the devices at a carrier's store come November.
Hehe....probably quite true! I can't believe that they did that. Talk about your brain dead moves.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
how does the coverage of WP7 compare with announcements from RIM or Google?
Cannot even compare. When there is an Apple product launch, you will have news crews blogging and recording about those waiting in line to get their iPad or latest OSX Mac... Perhaps it is the consumer slant of things because I think there was pretty good coverage of the Xbox 360 release. Even though WP7 is a great business tool, it will be other applications that will ultimately drive its success. I don't think MS has done enought to sell the Xbox integration - they certainly could do more there. Games were the killer app on consumer PCs until the latest console generation. I think the same could be made of mobile devices.