Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Lenovo and AMD Bring Low Cost and Office-Focused Performance Together in the ThinkCentre M75e

I took part in a conference call last week about a new product coming out from Lenovo - the ThinkCentre M75e - and while looking at business-focused desktop computers isn't something we tend to do much here at Digital Home Thoughts, it looks like a solid product for business users - including small business/home business types. Oh, and we'll be giving one away in a contest next month - keep an eye out for that! After the break, some details about what the Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e brings to the table.

It's noteworthy in a few ways. The M75e is the first "M" series computer from Lenovo that uses an AMD chipset - this is doubtless a key part of the $299 starting price on the M75e. This is the first M series machine that supports QID (quad independent display) via an optional HD5450 graphics card; the system has one VGA and one DVI port on board, but when you drop in an ATI AMD graphics card (I'm really going to miss the ATI brand!), Windows 7 and the AMD drivers are smart enough to link the on-board video and card-based video together to give you up to four different displays. This is different from your typical on-board Intel-based GPU solution where, once you insert an NIVDIA or AMD GPU, you lose the on-board video. If you need support for four monitors, an AMD-based solution is the obvious way to go from a cost perspective. The M75e will be sold in configurations that will include dual Lenovo monitors.

Other notable points about the M75e: boot time is pegged at under 30 seconds, and it's the lowest-cost four-DIMM solution from Leovno that also happens to support up to 16 GB of RAM - though I'm not sure why you'd put that much RAM in a system that's not designed for high-end performance. And speaking of that, the AMD 760G chipset is considered a lower-performing chipset, but still delivers DirectX 10 capabilities - competing products from Dell and HP tend to use the AMD 785G chipset, which offer DirectX 10.1 capabilities, but the cost is higher. The key differentiator is HD video performance; the 785G chipset allows for playback of Blu-ray videos, while the 760G chipset does not. Lenovo's enterprise customers haven't indicated a strong need for HD video playback, so the M75e gives them what they need for the lowest cost possible. My take on it? A business focused computer doesn't need to have the capability to play back Blu-ray movies, but 1080p video is more and more common - and there's certainly a legitimate business case for needing to access HD video content. I suspect, though, that with reasonable CPU power, the M75e will be up to the task. I'm being sent a fairly high-end configuration of the M75e for review, so I'll be able to verify that.

In looking at the images of both body designs shown above - the desktop and small form factor - I noticed that they still had PS/2 mouse and keyboard boards. I thought it was curious that they still had these legacy ports, rather than having a couple of extra USB ports, and the reason for this is brilliant: the "M" series systems from Lenovo include the ability to selectively deactivate the front or back USB ports for security purposes. The threat of an employee popping in a USB flash drive and stealing critical files is a very real one, so by disabling all USB ports on the device and using PS/2 based input devices, the threat is neutralized - from that angle at least. Smart, no?

UPDATE: My review of the Lenovo M75e is now published.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM
jazboy01
Pupil

Looks good for small business user.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
jazboy01
Pupil

Lenovo reaches major milestone 60 Million Thnikpad laptop Sold. wish the same success to this series too.