Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Live Alert Service Shutting Down

http://alerts.live.com/Alerts/MyAlerts.aspx

Microsoft is going to be shutting down its Windows Live Alert service for almost all alert types soon. If you visit alerts.live.com you'll be greeted with the following message:

"Thank-you for your interest in Windows Live Alerts. After much consideration we have decided to discontinue this service as part of the Windows Live offerings. Please sign up with Windows Live Alerts partners directly to receive their newsletters or other content updates from them. Hotmail Calendar Alerts and reminders will continue to be managed by Windows Live Alerts for the time being."

I'll be sorry to see this go. I've been using it for as long as I can remember to get weather on my phone at 5am each day. It would always be there when I woke up and didn't have to fool with visiting a web page or waiting for some app on the device to go out and get the data. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find a replacement. Even if I do, I suspect it will be difficult to find one that was so configurable, allowing me to set the delivery times, quite times, etc.

Anyone have good recommendations for SMS alerts that are user friendly, not bogged down with advertising and is reliable?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Regarding the weather, isn't it pretty simple though to click on an app on your home screen? Or in the case of the HD2, the weather is right there when I turn my phone. I never used the service more than a few times, so I guess I might not fully grasp what I'm missing.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

No, because it has to go out and get the data, at least the one on my phone. Then, it cannot just show me the data, it has to dress it up in some animation building up to the info that I want, like I need a story to keep me interested. It doesn't update in the background so the data is always fresh. It also has a different screen for tomorrow's forecast.

The SMS from Windows Live had all of that and it is in my inbox when I wake up.

It is the difference between 15-20 seconds and about 2 seconds, or less.