Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Software

Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor
Default Google Updates Android Gmail App: Get it from the Market Now

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/...oid-market.html

"We just released a new version of the Gmail app in Android Market, so Gmail updates aren't tied to Android version releases anymore. Now you can get new Gmail stuff faster without having to wait for system updates. To start you off, we've improved message replies, access to quoted text, and more."

There are many things to love about Android. One of the greatest things is Google's ability to update the software that shipped with your device without a complete system update. Today they've done just that with the native Gmail app. For those of us running Froyo, the latest update brings cool new features like the floating message action bar and finally the ability to select and copy text! No longer will I have to launch gmail.com just to copy an email address or phone number out of a message. So far I am really liking this update. How is it treating you guys?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

This illustrates one of the things I least like about Android - the fragmentation. So Google releases an update that only maybe of quarter of all Android users can use. Way to go Google. And since we're at the mercy of the carriers for updates who knows when we'll be able to use the Foyo only apps that are out there. Some devices will never get Froyo, and as it is the carriers aren't exactly falling over themselves to get it out to end users.

I have an HTC Aria that I just bought in August (after losing my iPhone 4 and not being willing to pay $600 for a new one). Surprisingly, I actually really like the phone and HTC's Sense UI is super. But my poor new phone only shipped with Android 2.1. When will it get Froyo? Who knows. And many fairly new phones ship with even older versions of Android. This is almost as bad as it was in the Windows Mobile days.

Oh well - we'll see if the Aria ever gets Froyo and in the meantime I'll lust uselessly for Froyo only applications like this.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I'm loving it. It works perfectly on my rooted G1, and it even seems a bit faster than the old version.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Tony Rylow
Editor Emeritus

I really don't notice much difference - it still works as usual for me. I use my 2 gmail accounts as secondary accounts, when I'm not sure if I am going to get lots of spam from signing up for something.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I've noticed that it does seem a bit faster in daily use. Especially when changing lables around.

I agree that it does suck that only Froyo users can get this. Hopefully HTC and AT&T will give you some 2.2 love soon.