Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Phones & Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual
Default My $20 Android Phone

A few months ago I began toying with the idea of hacking Android onto a WinMo handset before discovered how inexpensive T-Mobile G1's were on Craigslist. Someone in a city 2 hours from my home had a G1 with a cracked screen for $40. I offered him $20 because it was so far away. The seller accepted and offered to deliver it to me! Score!

Upon receiving it, I found that while the digitizer was destroyed, it still worked. I immediately obtained an unlock code from T-Mobile, slapped in my AT&T SIM card, and flashed the phone to Cyanogenmod 6 RC2. After the first boot I immediately shut of data: I don't have or want a data plan. A few issues later, CM6 Stable was released and all the bugs were squashed.

Now, I'm in the process of replacing the digitizer, which I purchased for $30 on eBay.

I'm stoked to be rocking an Android 2.2 phone that I paid $20 + $30 for! On top of that, I weaseled my way out of a data plan, which saves me another $30 a month. WiFi is plentiful, so I can perform most functions except things that require data on the move, such as navigation.

Digitizer swap results coming soon.