Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts News

Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default One Device, Many Form Factors

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/1...mputing-device/

"Remember the Touch Book from last year? The netbook with a detachable screen that can double as a tablet? No? I didn’t either. But sure enough, we did a post on the device and it actually shipped to consumers. Well, the company is back with the next generation that takes the multipurpose theme up a notch. The Smart Book is the swiss knife of mobile devices as the demo video shows."

Ever since I heard of the Metapad from IBM, I loved the concept.  A single device that would hook up into various different shells to allow different ways to compute.  While the Metapad never saw production, there have been many attempts to follow that concept.  There is the Palm Foleo which also never really saw the light of day but the Celio Redfly is still around.  Always Innovating seems to be taking the next step, adding a tablet form factor into the mix.  As they provide their own hardware, including for the phone, I am unsure as to how popular this could be though running Ubuntu or Android does give it some clout.  Of course, the biggest challenge will be competing against cloud computing.  Why have one device that you have to snap into different shells, when you can have multiple devices that all hook into the same data backend and give you an optimized interface?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Tony Rylow
Editor Emeritus

That thing is way cool !!

The major drawback I see about this, is the way you remove the mobile device. I really don't like the idea of taking off the entire back to get to it. I would want some sort of a door on the bottom of the tablet that I can open and remove it.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 AM
BrotherDave
Pupil

This doesn't necessarily compete w/ the cloud. This allows you to access your cloud data as good as any of the multiple devices you may have (and maybe/probably with a more consistent experience.) This has the added advantage of letting you access your data when the cloud is not available (it happens.) Add an solid sync story and this is just right.

My worry for this is that it will freak the average person out. Lots of parts which feels like complexity and trouble. If they could get folks used the concept with a package that solved the smartphone and laptop scenarios nicely (and initially defocused the other form-factors), that may be enough to get folks to try it out.