Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Verizon Will Not Offer Windows Phone 7 Handsets at Launch...Nor Will Any CDMA Carrier

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...7-at-start.html

"Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone carrier, won't sell handsets with Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Phone 7 operating system when it debuts this year, a blow to the software maker's efforts to reach a broad market."

Oh snap! It looks like earlier reports were on target: Verizon will not be launching a Windows Phone 7 device when the new platform has its big day. Initially I thought this was happening because Microsoft royally screwed their relationship with Verizon with the debacle that was KIN, but it's looking like the real reason is that the CDMA version of Windows Phone 7 just isn't done yet. Sorry all you Verizon/Sprint customers in the US, and Telus/Bell customers in Canada. Does this change your plans for your next phone? Were you a CDMA customer hoping to get a Windows Phone 7 device?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM
efjay
Theorist

On T-Mobile so just waiting for the right device to land or maybe import one sans 3G as a last resort. Decided years ago CDMA was not for me since you dont have the freedom to change phones when you want.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
On T-Mobile so just waiting for the right device to land or maybe import one sans 3G as a last resort. Decided years ago CDMA was not for me since you dont have the freedom to change phones when you want.
Yeah, I'm the same way, but I'm also really sick of rocking the 2G - I like my HD2, but the slow-ass EDGE speeds get irritating sometimes. I really want to rock the 3G speeds, but the GSM carriers in Canada have been reluctant to offer anything decent running Windows Mobile. I'm really hoping my carrier (Rogers) will bring out something kick-ass for Windows Phone 7...

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'm really hoping my carrier (Rogers) will bring out something kick-ass for Windows Phone 7...
When was the last time Rogers launched a Microsoft devices? They sort of soft launched the original XDA. I think the last one was the Titan. What was that, 5 years ago?

If Rogers don't launch something there will be no WP7 devices in Canada till the middle of next year. Telus and Bell have been the ones carrying the ball, and have done so very well, actually releasing a few before they were even available in the USA. And now the news is that the CDMA carriers aren't going to see anything for several months....not good!

Dave

Last edited by Paragon; 09-18-2010 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
I agree; besides, I travel very often to Europe and I am not interested to pay obscene roaming charges when with a GSM phone I can buy a cheap prepaid SIM and use it in the Country I am. Also 80% of the phones in the World are GSM so it makes sense to go Worldwide first with GSM and then with CDMA which is used mostly in the US and Japan.
If I remember correctly WP7 is not available yet with Oriental languages.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
electrollama
Pupil

For what it's worth, both bell and telus have gsm (and CDMA) networks now (that's how they can offer the iPhone).

Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

I think a lot of people forget that Android launched on just one carrier! I think Microsoft will do really well if they are able to successfully launch on T-Mobile and AT&T in the US, and on GSM networks worldwide. I am sure they are working hard to get CDMA support added ASAP. What Android has proved is that a multi-carrier model (with support from the hardware manafacturers) can really scale quickly.

Regardless, I'm excited about the launch and can't wait to get a WP7 device in my hands!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
When was the last time Rogers launched a Microsoft devices? They sort of soft launched the original XDA. I think the last one was the Titan. What was that, 5 years ago?
I bought my Samsung Jack from Rogers, oh, two years ago? If you're point is that Rogers isn't known for being very pro-Windows Phone, yeah, I'd agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Telus and Bell have been the ones carrying the ball, and have done so very well, actually releasing a few before they were even available in the USA. And now the news is that the CDMA carriers aren't going to see anything for several months....not good!
Ah, but remember that Telus and Bell both have GSM-ish networks now via HSPA - so we just might see a Windows Phone 7 device from them!