Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2005, 03:12 AM
Ned
Pupil
Default Re: People Not Flocking To Multipurpose Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Raia
"USA Today looks at the convergence of cell phones... David Chamberlain, at In-Stat said, "People are not really flocking to phones with new features. They just want to talk on the phone." According to a recent In-Stat survey, there is relatively little interest so far in new phone add-ons, such as video."

Are these companies just making stuff up as they go or do they really know what we want?
The discussion has gotten away from the original post quite a bit and I wanted to make some personal observations concerning Jerry's original post.

I got my phone to make calls and do email. It turns out I do some text messaging too, but only with my youngest who seems to like to text message me instead of talk with me during the day, but that's another tale. I get about 10 emails per day from clients on the phone who use my address on the phone for emergency information which I need to help them with a follow-up phone call.

The phone is a quad gsm phone. I got that kind of phone because I travel all over the country and to Europe, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. The phone is also a flip. I don't find talking to a candy bar style phone comfortable without a headset and when closed I want my phone to be small.

Incidentally the phone has a camera. It just came that way. I used it once, when a trash truck rear-ended me and I wanted so photos for the insurance company.

I have a Palm and an MP3 player. I have no, make that NO interest in a phone which can be a phone, PDA and MP3 player, or any combination thereof.

I want my phone to be small. I always carry the phone. I don't always take the other units. I want to be able to carry the phone in a jacket or shirt pocket or a pants front pocket so I can take it anywhere. At work I always have my Palm, but I don't need it during other times such as social engagements, and I don't want to carry anything that large then, like a Treo. I do want my PDA to have a large screen, so a small PDA doesn't cut it for me. I have more than 30 programs on my Palm and many really utilize the large T5 screen including the 5 I use every day in addition to the calendar and contact list.

I want my phone's battery to last a long time through standby and calls (I have a 2000 min/month plan and pretty much use up the minutes.) and if you add a PDA and/or MP3 player to the phone you've shot the battery or made the phone too large to have a really big battery.

As for the MP3 player, for me the small ones are of little value. I use it only when I travel or go to the gym. I like lots of kinds of music and my playlists are eclectic. I don't walk around with it or to and from work. My MP3 player is a 20G unit with 16G used.

I have talked with many people over time about what they want in a phone and have followed this and other forums. I have concluded that the cell manufacturers are indeed either making up stuff as they go or clueless about what people want.