Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Slate & Tablet Hardware > Asus Eee PC Transformer

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Amazing...a tablet with a keyboard attached. Once upon a time we called those laptops, but back then they ran 'real' OSs Then there is that comment about not wanting the bulk of a detachable keyboard, without mentioning the drawback of ...wait for it...not being able to detach your keyboard. Keyboards don't have to be huge. The transformer is a little bigger because it stocks that nifty extra battery. Zagg makes some great BT case/keyboards for iPads that really don't add much to the package and provide solid protection.

I can't wait for someone to do the Transformer thing with a Windows 8 slate. I know that is a year out, but consider that, with an additional dock accessory. One more like a Dell Duo or Sony S dock, than the ones for the Iconia or iPad. Let the dock have some ports, USB, HDMI, ethernet? firewire, what have you. Imagine a setup like many office laptops with docks that leave a big monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged into the dock. It could be just like that, but without the laptop keyboard taking up room. The detachable tablet keyboard could just stay in the travel bag with the spare charger.

It would be reeaallly nice if when I stuck my Win8 tablet in the dock it fired up the familiar windows desktop, but when I pulled it out it went to the Metro home screen. If I'm going to sit at a desk with a keyboard and mouse, I don't need a touch friendly interface. If I'm on the couch or an airline seat, that's when I want Metro (with the option of popping into PowerPoint and make that quick edit....with my pen.