Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Laptops

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
Wow! My HP must be a brick, weighing 72 percent more than the comparable sized Air! It might have been a more relevant comparison to use the actual weights rather than percentages. Apple's specs for the 13 inch model say it weighs 2.9 pounds. HP's specs for the 13 inch dm3 say it weighs 3.9 pounds in one reference and 4.15 in another. I'll use the heavier to give you a greater break. So the HP weighs 1.25 pounds more than the Air. I sincerely doubt that makes any meaningful difference to a user.
Actually, the HP is 37% more than the 13" MBA, not 72% (that'd be vs the smaller MBA). Though 1.25 pounds itself is not a lot, every little bit helps when you're looking to reduce the total weight of your backpack or shoulder bag. Another way to look at it is that back in the day, some people would pay a premium to get a laptop that weighed 6 pounds instead of 7.25 (or 4.75 pounds instead of 6 pounds). Demand for lightweight and moderately powerful laptops like the MBA, Toughbooks, Sony TZ, and Toshiba R700 has dropped with introduction on netbooks, but there is a market for them.

Quote:
In return for that extra tiny pound, I get a removable battery, a much larger, and replaceable hard drive and upgradable memory.
Again those features are not important to everyone (though the lack of a HDD obviously limits the MBA to a secondary computer for most users).

Quote:
And I don't know where your claim of the Air having superior graphics comes from. My dm3 has a switchable 1Gb ATI Radeon 5430 paired with its Intel i3 380UM CPU. The Air is using nVidia 320M and an older Intel Core 2 Duo. I won't start a war comparing ATI to nVidia. I've used both. I don't think you can honestly claim the Air has better graphics.
The DM3 3010s I've seen only have the integrated GPU. That some versions of that model have a dual setup doesn't change my overall point that all laptops are trade-offs. Off the top of my head:

Macbook Air:
Instant resume, extra screen resolution, flex-less unibody construction, lower weight, thinness, mag lock, oversized multi-touch trackpad, smaller brick, OS w/ gestures

dm3 (your version, based on your description):
Cheaper, replaceable battery, upgradable RAM, larger HDD, optical drive, faster CPU, dual GPUs, more ports, OS with more games and apps (though Windows can be run on the Mac)

Each has advantages and are really not in the same class. As I wrote before, "None of these laptops have exactly the same combination of features, and any could be the best choice depending on one's needs."

Quote:
We all like to defend our tech choices. I am getting a newer, faster CPU, comparable GPU, twice the memory, far larger storage that is upgradable, and for hundreds of dollars less than the similar sized Air. My original point was not that the Apple is not a good product. It is. My point was that it is not innovative. I've seen nothing to change that opinion.
As I wrote before, "The dm3 is a great laptop". Also I do not own an Air, so I'm not sure what defending "our tech choices" has to do with anything. Lastly, I never claimed that Macbook Air was innovative.

Last edited by Deslock; 10-27-2010 at 11:08 AM..