Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Samsung Windows Phones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

A few comments about this "tempest in a teapot":

I've been very forthcoming about my phone ownership and, among many other things, I am a BlackBerry user. I've used WM devices almost exclusively at work for the past 10 years, switching a few months ago only because my employer was recently acquired and the only mobile devices the new parent company supports are BlackBerrys (BlackBerry Connect on other devices is NOT supported). So I'm now the proud owner of a BlackBerry Bold 9700, about which I'm in no way embarrassed to say that I like very much. I was very upfront about that in this review when I used the 9700 to make my call quality comparisons. I also currently own a Touch Diamond, a Samsung Jack and an iPhone. I cited my ownership and usage of the Jack numerous times in the review. I like to think that owning a wide variety of phones based on different platforms gives me a broader perspective than I had when I owned only WM devices and I don't hesitate to include comments about how WM devices compare to those based on other platforms in my reviews.

But just to address any suggestions that I'm not experienced with WM devices, here's a partial list of the devices I've owned over the years: Cassiopeia A-11, A-20, E-15, E-115, E-125, 3 different iPAQs, Jornada 565, Toshiba e740, Loox 720 and N560, Samsung Blackjack, Motorola Q9h and my most current WM devices, an HTC Touch Diamond and a Samsung Jack. I've also reviewed a variety of WM devices that were supplied to this site by manufacturers, vendors and service providers (besides the Intrepid, recent examples include the HTC Touch Pro2 and the Acer F900). So I do have the background to speak with some authority about Windows Mobile and mobile devices in general.

I did go back and tweak a couple of my statements in my review to clarify my stance... that my references are to currently available devices from US providers and that such designs, rather than being "rare" in an absolute sense, are new to me because I hadn't used one before, though I've used many, many other WM devices with a variety of form factors extensively over the years.

If I wasn't clear about that, I apologize. My remarks about the form factor being "uncommon" were only intended to provide context about my point of view. Those comments had no bearing whatsoever on my evaluation of and conclusions about the Intrepid and therefore the minor changes that I made have no impact on the review results.

So we've all had our say about this minor difference in viewpoints, and I respectfully suggest that we move on.