Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Princess
Neophyte
Default External HDD w/ all my music crashed

My external hard drive crashed (Cavalry brand in case you are curious) the other night. ALL 80GB of my music was on it. My laptop only has a 60GB HDD. Anyhow, go figure, the backup device failed and despite all my efforts (except paying some forensic guys $300-$500) I have not been able to recover anything.

So, the good news is that I have 99% of my music on my Zune. The problem is that when I try and reverse sync it to my new external HDD, nothing happens. In the zune settings I have specified a "My Music" folder on my new external HDD. Then, in the zune software I go to Device then Music and I highlight everything that is on my Zune and drag it down to the little computer in the bottom left. So far, the only thing that has happened is that it has backed up 1 Michael Jackson song I didn't even know I had. Nothing else. It says Sync Status 100%.

Now, what I think may be the problem, although I'm not sure, is that I haven't cleared out my collection in the zune software which I believe would still reference the old songs on my old dead external HDD. But, I'm hesitating to clear all that out as I'm somewhat apprehensive of nuking my only backup of all my music which is on my Zune. Also along those lines, I spent a good 15 hours organizing the music so that I wouldn't have 200+ mini genres that are essentially useless as well as a bunch of songs that were just named incorrectly. So, ideally what I would like to do is to be able to maintain all of my genres and renamed files, if at all possible, and be able to reverse sync my music back to my new drive, but I have no idea if that is even possible or how to do it.

And to make matters worse, I'm leaving the country at 4am PST on Wednesday so of course I don't have time to go back through and redo all of my work.

I really do appreciate any help, even if it isn't the answer I'm hoping for. :cry1: Thanks.