¹ Zune Software's Speed of Updating Music = Awesome - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 AM
iamthejeff
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Hi there. Welcome to our forums! It's always "interesting" when someone's first post is a guns-blazing attack.
***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

I am not concerned with making any kind of first impression, be it good or bad. I merely replied to point out the blatant fanboyism.

I don't care about Zune 1.0 or even 2.0, or 3.0 for that matter. I'm using 3.1 and all my gripes have to do with 3.1.

First I'll clear up the two points I gave. You encounter songs with the same names on albums that have more than one song called "Untitled". There are other cases, but I'm not about to dig through all my albums to find the specific examples right now. I don't need to. It works from a file structure perspective, because if you include the track number in the file name, they should be able to co-exist peacefully. But even with separate track numbers in the ID3 tags, the Zune software doesn't know how to handle them. I tried on numerous occasions to import these types of songs and once one song is imported, the 2nd song automatically replaces it in your library.

As for ID3 2.4 tags, they are superior because they encode the information at the end of the file rather than the beginning, which allows mass-tagging apps like Mp3Tag to retag music very quickly. A fraction of the time it takes to retag in 2.3. Since I've used Zune software, I've been forced to retag everything in 2.3 because if I don't, the Zune software will automatically truncate long song titles and artist names, overwriting them. How is that for corruption of data?

The Zune software also automatically adds disc number data to all imported music, even if the album is only one disc. Even if I tell it not to retag my music. I have been forced to mark all my music as read-only because of this.

Let's not forget the Zune itself can't even figure out disc number tags anyway.