¹ How to retain folder structures? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
zero383
Neophyte
Question How to retain folder structures?

Hi, first time post here. I'm planning on buying a Zune 8GB soon but I just have a question about folders on my PC and syncing. I've downloaded the Zune software to play around with.

I have several folders on my PCs with thousands of songs in each. Each folder contains songs from different albums, artists, genres, etc. Basically each folder is in essence a playlist. Whatever songs I feel like listening to I just right click the folder and Enqueue in Winamp.

When I add these folders to my collection, it gets rid of the folder structure and just puts everything in one big list which I can browse by artist, genre, etc. The problem is that it doesn't know which songs came from which folder which means it's not organized the way I want. Is it possible to make a playlist based on folder or would I have to manually go through and pick out the songs again? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Lotheric
Pupil

Try making a playlist for your folders (.m3u) The Zune can read those I think

Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 AM
zero383
Neophyte

Yea I just figured that out, thanks. What I did was create an M3U for each of the folders then copy it into the playlist folder for Zune. It will convert it to a ZPL automatically.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
jentse
Pupil
Default Problem continued...

Hi there guys,
I'm from Holland, lucky to be a Zune owner already!
I've got just one big problem with it, quite the same as you are describing. Like Zero383, I've got some folders with a lot of mp3's downloaded individually, all from different artists and albums.
I know how to make a playlist of those, but unfortunately, when I want to transfer it to my Zune, ALL those songs also appear in an endlessly long list of artists and albums. This makes it harder to find one of the artists where I do have full albums of.
So, my question is: Is there any solution to avoid my Zune from drowning in
1-song albums and artist, while still having those compilation playlists on it??

So far, I could only think of editing metadata of those songs; like changing all the genre-tags in a folder to the name of the folder, and all the artists to 'Various' with the Artist's name added to the song titles....

PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW OTHER, BETTER WAYS OF DOING THIS!!

Thanks a lot from Holland! JH