Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
pocketpcinfo
Neophyte

I'm a long time Pocket PC software developer (ISV) and I've sold my software on Pocketgear, Handango, and other various 3rd-party vendor sites. I've also sold software on my own web site using different payment schemes. Over the course of 6-7 years, I decided to stop selling new applications on Pocketgear and Handango because they are charging such high commission rates. They are doing so, because PPC software sales are way down and they are trying to stay afloat. Instead of advertising or implementing a better marketing campaign, they take the easy route and jack up their commission rates without giving the developer any additional service.

So, I suggest every developer spend the time to make their own web site and sell their products directly. With my site, I'm using PayPal as the credit card payment processing system. I've got it up to where everything is fully automatic, and I don't have to do anything when someone purchases a product. Once a customer's credit card is approved, they download the software from my site and cgi scripts will email them the required activation codes for the software. All automatically. All I do now, is answer a few emails each week with customer questions.

What's nice, is that you don't need a PayPal account to purchase software, just a credit card. So what does all this cost? For an $18.00 US transaction PayPal charges me 5.3%. That's it. I can sweep the money that accumulates in my PayPal account to my checking account whenever I want, and it arrives in about 3 days.

I highly recommend software developers to sell their software on their own sites using systems like PayPal. You worked hard to develop your products, so you should reap the benefits.

pocketpcinfo