Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Asus Launches Ultra-slim A686 and A696 GPS PDAs

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/19/...-out-a686-a696/

"With the overall PDA market slowly dwindling into oblivion, Asus is attempting to keep the PDA kickin' for just a bit longer, and the company's latest duo actually isn't half bad considering the GPS functions and relatively slim enclosure. The A686 / A696 units ditch the MyPal moniker from days past, and rather than adding that bulky GPS antenna the side, Asus has bumped up the style points by crafting a stainless steel frame with a non-protruding GPS antenna. Both units pack Windows Mobile 5.0, 802.11b/g, a SiRF Star III receiver, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, 64MB of SDRAM, 3.5-inch 320 x 240 resolution touchscreen, integrated speakers / microphone, audio recording capability, rechargeable battery, and it comes in at just 1.57-centimeters thick."

Despite the negative view of the PDA market, Engadget offers a good summary of two new Asus offerings. The 802.11g is a nice touch! Though I'm not a GPS user yet, I can certainly see the benefit, assuming that it wasn't too big of a drain on battery life. The 696 offers 256MB Flash ROM but only 64MB SDRAM. I'd still like to see more. Is GPS a killer feature for you?