Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Well, considering that the Zune is apparently being designed by the Xbox team, how do you not know it's more than just a DAP? I'd be very surprised if there isn't something "extra". Microsoft must know very well by now that "me-too" clones are going to lose against the iPod.
Quoting a marketing manager from Xbox Europe: "It is a combination of hardware and software. As for roll out and compatibility you're going to have to watch this space -- when we launch there will be a lot of noise around it. It's about Microsoft bringing together communities on devices like Xbox, Zune and PC."

Sounds more than just a DAP to me.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:31 AM
szamot
Sage

if Zune takes off as well as Smart Display, Tablet PC and Urge then perhaps zuneafterthoughts.com will be a more likely alternative..... :devilboy:

Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

For those that are interested in some Zune news before I launch the site, I've updated the home page with a great quote from Robbie Bach about the device and what Microsoft's goal is with it.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Wow, well, I side with Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelnose
If you think it's rude that I point out a real problem with the validity of the site, it really doesn't make it less true. People who don't care about quality will still question what makes the Zune better, and people who do care will laugh it off as a fanboy site. These are the realities of the challenges here.

Or I could just lie about it.
I'm not sure you get the point of Jason's idea. I have to side with him and say my I-HP 140 still sounds excellent to my ears and the sound quality I've heard from current ipods and creative players has also been, to me, excellent. I don't care what the signal to noise ratio is or anything else about the physics of the wave that the device is capable of producing. I want to know if the Zune will have as many features as my old iriver (apple has never come close). I want to know how it interacts with my computer. I also would like to know if the screen is good in the sunlight. I think Jason's site will be the perfect source for all the information that I care about. With as little functionality as the ipod has and as much hype and news have been generated around it I have no doubt that there will be more than enough content related to the Zune to keep the site interesting.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Y'know, I can understand questions about the new site (I had a few, before reading these seven pages), but I really don't get the amount of stink here over a product that ain't out yet, fer chrissakes!

I mean, if you're interested in one, fine. If you're not, fine. If you're not, but maybe someday you change your mind and want to know more (which could be my track), fine. Either way, calm down and at least wait to see if the product performs or blows up out of the box.

Speaking as someone who likes my Toshiba PPC the way it is, and uses an iAudio MP3 player when riding my motorcycle or the subway to work, I have no interest in the device at the moment. But that doesn't mean I won't later, if my needs change, and if I manage to learn something about the device from a site like ZuneThoughts. Because, let's face it: If I have to get my information from Microsoft (biased), or from my local CompUSA (bored overworked geek-clerks), I won't be learning much, and I certainly won't be buying one.

Go for it, Jason. Let it sink or float on its own.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 PM
xycury
Pupil

just wow....

reading 7 pages ....

Jason, and the team, I wish you the best of luck and I am excited to see this site take off.

I'll definately be signed up and will be looking forward to reviews and topics and articles.

I just hope everyone else would realize that the product isn't out yet, and that all this critism isn't worth the effort and simply points out a lack of respect to Jason and Digital Thoughts team.

Come on... we're already having debates/arguments over something that's just been talked about so far. Does that deserve a roll? :roll: