Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 AM
wallyc
Neophyte

Hi everyone,

Saw this interesting thread. Thought that I should share this fantastic and reliable tool which I have been using for years.

TreeComp
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lploeger/TreeComp3.htm

Downside : There's no command-line option and you can't schedule it.

Will certainly check out MS's new toy.

Cheers!

Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
lapchinj
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander
...I've used Second Copy (http://www.centered.com/) since 1999 and it has been totally reliable with both easy set up for simple tasks and all the customization you could ask for if you're looking to do something more complicated. It'll even keep a user-specified number of copies of older files that it deletes for added security in case you want to recover an earlier version of something you altered and then synched into oblivion...
I know that this thread is a little old but I just thought that I'd update it a little. I had to try some of the sync apps that have been posted and I tried Second Copy which came so highly recommended by Rob (where were you all this time :wink: ). I ended up buying it mainly because it's so intuitive, error messages are really "why not do this instead" dialog popups (error dialogs that do nothing but say "Sorry, you can't do that" is just programmer lazyness. Errors should be handled and alternatives given either transparently or asking the user) which was truely a breath of fresh air and the fact that I can set deleted files to be held for a certain amount of time. When I rolled my own sync app (copy, cut and paste by hand) I always ended up with too many copies of deleted files and more often than not just nuking them because I was in a rush or some other stupid reason.

Even if it doesn't fit everyone's needs I thought that I would pass on the info in case anyone was interested in looking at it.

Jeff-

Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

The final version of SyncToy has just been released. More information here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en