Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Prevost
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheTripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevost
I think that effect is more of an optical illusion.

As long as part of the moon is still not into the Earth's shadow, it is bright enough to cause to the human eye (and to cameras, even more) an "error" at handling the real color of the area within the shadow, since the difference in lightning levels between the two areas is too much to the eyes' ability of adjusting to different levels of light.
Good point. Kind of like if you're standing in the hallway and the livingroom light is on but you're looking into the darkened bedroom you might not be able to make anything out. But if the house were compleatly dark your eyes would already be adjusted and you could probably see into the bedroom just fine with the small amount of light in the house. Happens to me in the mornings now that it stays dark later.

And it's even worse with cameras. Took a photography class and learned that the human eye can pick up contrast 1000 times better than a (film) camera.
Exactly!

My English is improving as far as I see... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
"During totality, when the Moon is completely immersed in shadow, it might turn red, the result of Earth's atmosphere bending hints of all the world's sunrises and sunsets simultaneously onto the Moon while the Sun's primary light is blocked. "

Steve
Yeah, this is what I thought.