Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshdaphne
On behalf of all of those confused friends and family members out there, sorry! It's not our fault we just don't GET it!
The fact that you've learned how to register and use this site demonstrates you're far beyond the kinds of people we're talking about.

--janak

Old 07-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
On behalf of all of those confused friends and family members out there, sorry! It's not our fault we just don't GET it! But my boyfriend also comes to me with questions like, "what is this sticking out thing on my rib? is it part of my bone? what are bones made of anyway? so how did that evolve?...... etc..........." I figure answering and laughing at his questions is a good repayment for him answering and laughing at mine about computers.
Hahahahahaha - are you a doctor?

Old 07-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Hahahahahaha - are you a doctor?
I guess the point is that we ALL have our own professional hazards with people asking for help and/or advice. My brother is a physician and I wouldn't trade my "the-blue-thingy-under-the-red-thingy-isn't-where-it-should-be" computer-illiterate questions for the stupid requests for free medical advice and treatment that he gets! It's amazing the things people will ask a doctor to do!

Old 07-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
On behalf of all of those confused friends and family members out there, sorry! It's not our fault we just don't GET it!
As Janak said - if you're here, than you are WAY above the kind of people we're talking about.

Here is a simple test you can take to determine where you are on the computer knowledge scale:

1. Do you know what a search engine is?
2. Do you know what IRC is?
3. Do you know how to save a file to a floppy disk or burn a CD?
4. Do you know what operating system you are running?
5. Do you know what processor your computer is using?
6. Do you know how to count in binary?
7. Do you know what Windows CE is?
8. Do you know how to use notepad?
9. Do you know what AOL Instant Messenger or ICQ are?
10 (Freebie). Do You know the muffin man?

Scoring: If you scored 10 - you're awesome. If you scored 6 - 9 - you're pretty technical. If you scored 3-6 - you're learning! If you scored 1-2 - Keep trying! If you scored 0 - here's a hint: He lives on drury lane...

Hope you enjoy this simple test

Oh and welcome poshdaphne - 3 posts is how all of us "over 500 posters" got addicted I think.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:30 AM
poshdaphne
Pupil

No, not a doctor, but I've taken a lot of courses in osteology (bones) and evolution because I've just finished a degree in biological anthropology ("physical anthropology" in the US). And that test was hard! haha! I know how to do some computer things because I've been taught, but I'm clueless about figuring things out by myself. I've had a ppc for the past 2 or so years, but I'm sure I didn't ever use it to its full ability. Anywho, I registered here so I could get some info on which new ppc to get because I broke the screen on my old one.

All of you are really nice and helpful. It's nice to have a place to have a laugh and learn some stuff.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:00 AM
juni
Sage

Quote:
but I've taken a lot of courses in osteology (bones)
Do you get a lot of "bone" related questions from family and friends?

Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 AM
hdsalinas
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to hdsalinas

I am a system administrator and sometimes it can get very frustrating. There is only like 2 other people in my office who know their way through a PC. The rest of them (30+ only know how to use office - but if you mention "Office" they have noidea what your are talking about, they only know it as word or excel)

I have a lot of funny (but frustrating back then) stories that i would like to share

1) When they get an "error" message on their screen, they immediately call me and when I ask them what does the message says they have no idea because they have not read it. Most of the time is not even an "error"

2) Classic phrases over the phone are
"hey, I just got an error what is it?"
"Out of the blue I get this call "Why cant I print?"
"Why cant I get on the network"

3) I work in Honduras and some of our machines are in Spanish and some in English. Sometimes I send them patches via lotus notes and tell them that they have to install the one that correspond to the version of windows (language wise) they have installed on their machines. I always get a few phone calls asking me how can they tell what language is the windows in their machine

4) One I had a case when an end user wanted me to figure out why she could not play some "mp3" she ripped from a music CD. It turned out that what she did was to copy the content of an audio CD to her harddrive thinking that she converting it to mp3.

5) Most of the user have no idea how to drag something from the network to their harddrives much less to navigate through out the entire network.

I could go on forever. There was a time that I tried to go over my way and fix people computers just for the challenge and to help them. Now I dont feel that urge anymore. In fact when I come home from work the least i want to do is work on computers.