Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-02-2002, 08:30 PM
CoffeeKid
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to CoffeeKid Send a message via MSN to CoffeeKid Send a message via Yahoo to CoffeeKid
Default But thats just the ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Interesting. Do you realize in one way you are prohibited from selling your Pocket PC 2002 device? You get Outlook XP with it and it activates to your PC. If you sell your Pocket PC 2002, you cannot also let them have Outlook XP since the CD would be worthless to them. So they have to go buy a $100 copy of Outlook to sync with. :evil:

I can understand not being able to sell Office or Windows, but in this case I don't think the Outlook team thought it all the way through when their product got bundled with Pocket PC.
Typical of Microsoft's EULAs as of late. Who doesn't remember the BS they have in their CrapPage... uh, Front Page software that states quite clearly (although way down the agreement) that you cannot use Front Page to create web pages that in any way are critical of Microsoft...

Those aspects of EULAs I just completely ignore, because if not outright illegal, they are immoral and unethical. If I sell my PPC device, you can bet I'll be providing the CD with Outlook XP. I would assume most other PPC sellers are doing likewise.

Old 05-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeKid
Those aspects of EULAs I just completely ignore, because if not outright illegal, they are immoral and unethical. If I sell my PPC device, you can bet I'll be providing the CD with Outlook XP. I would assume most other PPC sellers are doing likewise.
Yeah but the CD is no good. If they install Outlook XP and try to activate it, it will be denied because you had already activated it on your PC.

Old 05-02-2002, 09:17 PM
CoffeeKid
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to CoffeeKid Send a message via MSN to CoffeeKid Send a message via Yahoo to CoffeeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Yeah but the CD is no good. If they install Outlook XP and try to activate it, it will be denied because you had already activated it on your PC.
Oh YEAH!. I forgot about the stupid Activation crap! :evil:

It's been a while since we installed XP office and Pro on our 7 office computers, and I forgot what a it pita it added to the install routine, what with the physical tacking of the CDs et al to each computer. Previously, we'd buy all the licenses, but just carry one CD around installing it, using the different license numbers from the boxes.

Grr. Microsoft. Another reason not to like them. I still think what they've done is totally wrong, if not illegal (I'm sorry, but if I pay for a license for something, I firmly believe there's nothing wrong with selling it if I choose to no longer use it - to me, it's no different than selling a music CD or a book).

Oh well, now I'm off to the "Comdex Las Vegas" of the coffee world... the SCAA Conference in Anaheim tomorrow... woo hoo!

Old 05-02-2002, 11:03 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I think you'll find the manual activation process, though tedious, is staffed by very lenient folks. Once you get the 'Can't activate, call this number", and you explain that you purcased a piece of hardware and the software with it, I bet they'll go ahead and activate it for you.

I've had a laptop die, got a new one, and of course reinstalling my Office XP hit the activation wall. Simple call got me up and running.

P.S. If you are buying that many licenses, why don't you go with the one of the volume options. As I understand it, those don't involve activation.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:22 PM
bargle
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to bargle
Default xp licence.

I also head from some OEM tech back when I use to work for BSDi, that XP's activation zeroed out after 6, or was it 8 months. I just got a new motherboard so I have been fearing installing it. But some friends said they were easy going about such things.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:58 PM
seanturner
Thinker
Default xp licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargle
I also head from some OEM tech back when I use to work for BSDi, that XP's activation zeroed out after 6, or was it 8 months. I just got a new motherboard so I have been fearing installing it. But some friends said they were easy going about such things.
Yeah, I think it does after 6 months. But you can just call Microsoft and tell them that you changed motherboards and you need to reactivate it, they will help you. About 3 months ago my laptop died so I took the harddrive out and put it in as my desktop's only drive. I booted from it, but, it asked me to reactivate, so I called MS and they activated it no questions asked. Then, when I got a new laptop, I put the old harddrive in the new laptop and reactivated again and MS gave me no problems. Then, I reformatted the laptop and called MS again to reactivate (I didn't have an inet connection at the time)