Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Euro Trip - Looking for Advice

Ok gang, I'm looking for some advice from the community. In June of 2005, my wife and I are planning a holiday to Scotland and Italy. We're booking it through our time-share, so we're spending one week in each place (this isn't one of those "stay one night in one place" kind of trips). In light of that, I'm looking for input on two things:

1) Where's a good location to stay in Scotland, and in Italy, that will be relatively close to the major tourist spots. We'll be doing day trips from our hotel/resort.

2) Where should we go? What are the places that are "must see" in both Scotland and in Italy? My wife and I are part Scottish by heritage, so that's more of an "ancestral trip", but I don't know much about where we should visit. Ditto for Italy - there's so much to see I'm not sure where to start. :-)

I know it's a broad question, but any feedback/ideas would be fantastic! Thanks everyone. :way to go:

Old 08-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Filip Norrgard
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Filip Norrgard

Since I know nothing of Scotland (and I've never been there either), I did some Google:ing for tourist guides and found this compilation of links to sights in Scotland: http://www.quakerbonnet.com/uk/scotland.htm

One that I found particularily interesting was this one: http://www.scotland-info.co.uk/scotland.htm
They've got listed castles, gardens, places, and lots of other info! 8O I need to issue an "Information overflow warning!" for this link as they've got lots of nice information there.
( I can't vouch for the correctness of the info though... :? )

As for Italy, to which area would/are you going to stay in? (Northern, southern Italy, Sicily?)
Yahoo has got some sort of guide to Italy that might be interesting though: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...ly_vacations-i

Oh, and talking about the trip, will you be sharing some photos with us after your trip?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Thanks for the research! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manywhere
Oh, and talking about the trip, will you be sharing some photos with us after your trip?
Certainly. ;-)

Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
makicr
Intellectual

In Italy, I would consider going to Cinque Terre on the Northern Coast, near Monte Carlo. It is not very touristy, but there are some neat towns (5) to visit. I backpacked through there about a decade ago, so I am not sure what it is like now, but there were some great photo op's there when I was going through. It's neat that there are towns that are on points in the Med, where everything is stacked on top of everything else.

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/avong/cinque_terre/

Old 08-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Gary Sheynkman
Oracle
Send a message via AIM to Gary Sheynkman Send a message via MSN to Gary Sheynkman

Italy is a big place :lol:

You obviously have to visit Rome, Venice, Florence, and the ruins of Pompei....sure it is a bit of a hike going there and back but these are important locals.

Ask away if you have any more questions