¹ Could These be the Second Generation Zunes? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothernod View Post
DVR-MS should never be supported. It's a rediculously bloated codec in regards to space usage. They SHOULD support converting it to a Zune friendly codec for you, and there really is no excuse for them not having that already.
I'm not so sure...I used to agree with you, scoffing at people who said DVR-MS should be supported on the device, but after listening to the reasons why from a few people that wanted it, it starts to make sense. Transcoding takes time - sometimes, a LOT of time, and not everyone has multiple computers like I do. Some people want to boot up their PC, connect their Zune, and drag over a few TV shows or movies, then rush off to the airport.

There are other players out there that play VOB files, full-sized MPEG2 files, etc., all without requiring any transcoding. You just sync and go. Now I can argue about the technical merits of transcoding as far as it benefits the device (less storage space, improved battery life, etc.) but there's really nothing convenient about transcoding. If these people want to take up 2 GB of storage for an hour of TV, why not?

Quote:
I'd like to see h.264 in there, but could live without divx. It would be nice, but I've run into enough issues with divx vs xvid encoded content and all the other flavors of avi that I just wouldn't want to deal with it.
I think the biggest issue here is the one related to content - we all know that there are going to be people out there getting content off P2P networks, and so much of that is in Divx format. So Divx and Xvid support is necessary. But it's not just a "pirate format" - Divx has some great tools for content transcoding, whereas Microsoft does not. There's nothing like Dr. Divx, or the Divx Encoder, in the Microsoft world. WMV is a great format technically, but Microsoft has been incredibly negligent about making good tools available for working with that format. Even developers who WANT to add WMV support to their apps have told me they have trouble with it.

Quote:
And they best be bringing the brown Zune back, as that was my favorite by miles. It may be a deal breaker for me, it got them a lot of attention and I find it hard to believe they would abandon it.
It's amazing how polarizing the brown Zune has been! I personally thought it was great - brown is a trendy colour right now, and I know some people really liked it. Yet it's amazing how much the media and bloggers kicked up a fuss about it, getting almost angry that Microsoft was offering a colour that they didn't like.