View Full Version : What Tips Do You Have For Phone Edition Users?

Brad Adrian
10-12-2006, 06:49 AM
After being disappointed a year ago by the latest Pocket PC Phone Edition (the JASJAR), I've taken the plunge again into the world of converged devices. I got a great deal on a Cingular 8125 and am trying to take advantage of all it has to offer. I'm getting the hang using it as my "main" Pocket PC, but I bet there are a lot of you out there who have some great advice on getting the most out of a Phone Edition.

So, for all of you Phone Edition afficinados out there, I have some questions about real life use:

1. What phone-specific applications do you think are "must-haves?"
2. What case (if any) do you use?
3. What "gotchas" (if any) have you found with your Phone Edition?
4. How the heck do you hold your device when using the slide-out keyboard? My huge hands can`t seem to hang onto mine while typing.

Darius Wey
10-12-2006, 07:44 AM

I like Spb GPRS Monitor: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/gprsmonitor/?en

pocketMax's phoneAlarm is popular among the users here. I don't use it personally, but I have dabbled with it, and it offers plenty of neat features: http://www.pocketmax.net/phoneAlarm.html

I don't use one with the Phone Edition. I find the device large enough already, and prefer not to have a piece of leather flapping off it, or a silicone case adding to the bulk. My two cents, though. Your mileage may vary. :)

For me (although this is highly-dependent on the specific model), it's the lack of tactile feedback when punching in numbers on the dial screen. That was enough to make me move to a Smartphone, and so far, I'm lovin' it. :mrgreen:

4. How the heck do you hold your device when using the slide-out keyboard? My huge hands can`t seem to hang onto mine while typing.

I think the key is to have your four fingers gripping the top and rear of the device, and your thumbs controlling the keyboard. At least that's how I've used these devices.

Brad Adrian
10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Darius! I knew you'd have tons of great ideas for everybody.

I've got an "all-you-can-eat" data plan. Is there a benefit to using a GPRS monitor even in that situation?

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I've got an "all-you-can-eat" data plan. Is there a benefit to using a GPRS monitor even in that situation?Yes, be sure to read the fine print. The unlimited plans have caps too. They're just higher but still there.

Brad Adrian
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
The unlimited plans have caps too. They're just higher but still there.
Very good advice. I guess "unlimited" doesn't always mean "unlimited," huh?

Cybrid
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Very good advice. I guess "unlimited" doesn't always mean "unlimited," huh?Especially in Canada. Telus' "unlimited" is a measly 250Mb. Considering my phone is faster than my home cable connection, I could chew through 250Mb quite easily.

ctmagnus
10-13-2006, 05:54 AM

Spb GPRS Monitor and phoneAlarm Lite. The latter is from www.pocketmax.net. In particular, I recommend one of the smaller themes for the phoneAlarm plugin, but ymmv.

I've got a Krusell case that, while it offers a ton of protection, it is b u l k y . And I also have a nifty side-flip leather number that I got for cheap from www.ids.hk. I tend to use this one more as it doesn't add much to the device's size. Unfortunately, the snap ripped off it last week so I have a Covertec case on the way, and then I found the tube of superglue to fix the snap, so I will soon have three functional cases.

The dial pad and lack of tactile feedback on it. And the long boot times. Fortunately, reboots are few and far between with the later OSs.