View Full Version : HP to Offer Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade on some iPAQ Models

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2005/050510b.html' target='_blank'>http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/p...05/050510b.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"HP today announced an upgrade program to Microsoft Windows® Mobile 5.0 for customers with select HP iPAQ handhelds as well as plans to support the new version of the software platform in its future mobile offerings. HP iPAQ handhelds with Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 will provide customers with enhanced mobile communication, entertainment and productivity through simpler navigation and access to data, an improved Mobile Office suite, along with a more powerful, integrated multimedia experience...HP will offer Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrades for the HP iPAQ hx2100, hx2400, hx2700 and hx4700 series of handhelds. These software upgrades are expected to be available this summer and can be purchased directly from HP."</i><br /><br />I applaud HP for supporting most of their new devices with a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade, especially after burning their customers so badly in the past, but I have to wonder why the 3000 series isn't part of this upgrade? The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :? <br /><br />For those that are wondering, the phone edition of the OS usually comes out later (because there's that extra software layer) so we probably won't know about the 6300 series getting an upgrade until later. Don't hold your breath though.

entropy1980
05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
For those that are wondering, the phone edition of the OS usually comes out later (because there's that extra software layer) so we probably won't know about the 6300 series getting an upgrade until later. Don't hold your breath though.

But I thought that was whole point of this upgrade to integrate the Smartphone OS and Pocket PC so they were one platform what is there to include if the phone stuff is already there?

Jonathan1
05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
HA! I knew they would. Thanks HP! :mrgreen: :beer:

:D ;) Damn and I was going to reset my device this week and do some housecleaning. Oh well. I guess I can wait.

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 07:28 PM
But I thought that was whole point of this upgrade to integrate the Smartphone OS and Pocket PC so they were one platform what is there to include if the phone stuff is already there?

No, that's incorrect information spread by people who didn't know any better. There are unifications of user interface, and some core components, but there are still many differences between the Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 07:33 PM
For those that are wondering, the phone edition of the OS usually comes out later (because there's that extra software layer) so we probably won't know about the 6300 series getting an upgrade until later. Don't hold your breath though.

The 6300 wasn't built for WM 5.0, it was built for WM 2k3. So it will have to go through the redevelopment cycle, yes, no surprise there, so will the 4700 series. So why is Jason saying that it'll take longer for the 6300 than the 4700?

He isn't. He's citing that historically, it's taken longer for the Phone-toting device to get the upgrade compared to a device without voice capability. That doesn't mean it will take longer this time, he's just provided prior evidence as a possibile indication of a future outcome. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to come out, we don't know :D

Although, now that I think about it... the 6300 has pretty much all the things a normal PDA has, PLUS a phone. So that means that after they do the normal PDA stuff, they'll have to debug and test the phone functionality. More features, more time, right? Bah, who knows, we'll play the waiting game to find out.

I'm thinking my next phone will be a Smartphone to go with my PDA. Just have to wait another 4 months until Cingular lets me change my phones :wink:

No, that's incorrect information spread by people who didn't know any better. There are unifications of user interface, and some core components, but there are still many differences between the Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.
I didn't think the 6300 ran the Smartphone OS, I thought it was more the regular Pocket PC OS with phone functionality built onto it. I know we're seeing convergence between the sister OSes, but I thought that an oversimplified difference is "Pocket PCs have touchscreens, Smartphones don't".

applejosh
05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I applaud HP for supporting most of their new devices with a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade, especially after burning their customers so badly in the past, but I have to wonder why the 3000 series isn't part of this upgrade? The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :?

I agree. When I upgraded to the rx3715 (from the H3955), I wasn't really expecting an upgrade to the next version of WM, but that was just a general expectation across all product lines (and if I was going to get screwed on the deal, then I might as well get something with a couple of non-business type bells and whistles). If and when I upgrade the rx somewhere down the road, I'll probably go with a Dell. Not because I think Dell will offer any better support, but because if the manufacturers are grooming the devices to be almost disposable, then I might as well get a better deal on them. I like the fact that I can still use the cables I have from my H3955, but at some point you have to wonder if spending an extra $100-200 on a device in order to save yourself from buying a $30 cable is all that smart. (This really has less to do with HP deciding to keep the rx3000 series out of the upgrade picture and more to do with the overall tendency of all manufacturers to make upgrades less and less of an option.) Just my thoughts. Nothing against the devices of HP or Dell.

gibson042
05-10-2005, 07:40 PM

What (software) differences still remain between WM for Pocket PC and for Smartphone? Also, what will the naming scheme be ("Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC/Smartphone Edition"?), and will there still be an OS distinction between Phone Edition and "standard" Pocket PCs?

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I didn't think the 6300 ran the Smartphone OS, I thought it was more the regular Pocket PC OS with phone functionality built onto it. I know we're seeing convergence between the sister OSes, but I thought that an oversimplified difference is "Pocket PCs have touchscreens, Smartphones don't".

There are three flavours of Windows Mobile:

• Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC
• Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC Phone Edition
• Windows Mobile for the Smartphone

When Microsoft finished work on the Pocket PC version, they then work on the phone components. Ever wondered why the Phone Edition devices always come out 4-6 months after the non-phone devices? That's why. With Windows Mobile 5, that may have changed and perhaps we'll see phone devices come out at the same time as non-phone devices. I'm just not sure yet.

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 07:56 PM
There are three flavours of Windows Mobile:

• Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC
• Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC Phone Edition
• Windows Mobile for the Smartphone

When Microsoft finished work on the Pocket PC version, they then work on the phone components. Ever wondered why the Phone Edition devices always come out 4-6 months after the non-phone devices? That's why. With Windows Mobile 5, that may have changed and perhaps we'll see phone devices come out at the same time as non-phone devices. I'm just not sure yet.

Ah, I see. I've been out of the PDA world for far too long.

With all the "experts" saying PDAs will converge into phones, and the rumors about WM 5.0 lessening the boundry between PDA and Smartphone, hopefully we can scrap that middle step-child of the WM family, and be left with the two OSes, Pocket PC and Smartphone. But like you said, we'll have to play the waiting game and see.

whydidnt
05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Very good news (for me) regarding the 47XX upgrades. We'll have to wait to see how long it is before it's actually available though.

I can understand why the 31XX won't be upgraded, since it has limited "file store", so everything would have to be stored on a SD card, but it seems the 37XX probably should be upgradeable. I wonder if they use the same ROM so there wouldn't be a way to stop people from ruining their 31XX devices by attempting to flash them with the wrong ROM. I'm probably wrong about this, but considering the price tag of the 37XX series, I'd be disappointed if I owned one and couldn't upgrade it.

It seems to me the 47XX and the Dell X50 models were made with WM5 in mind since they have more ROM and less RAM. :D

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 08:25 PM
It seems to me the 47XX and the Dell X50 models were made with WM5 in mind since they have more ROM and less RAM. :D

Yeah, one might think that.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,34854

:mrgreen:

Menneisyys
05-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Nice to see especially for Pocket Loox 720 owners that there're two devices with 64M ROM to receive the WM2005 upgrade.

The fate of the rx3715 is indeed sad. An expensive and in a lot of repects pretty good PDA like that should deserve more.

OSUKid7
05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Great news! :D Good move for HP, hopefully they'll win back some loyalty with their decision to offer upgrades.

Kevin Daly
05-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I am soooooooo happy to be wrong about this one. :D

PS. I agree that it looks as if the hx4700 and the Dell X50 were made with WM5 in mind...that odd ROM/RAM balance was the one thing that kept a spark of optimism alive in my mind.

This announcement from HP's brightened up my whole morning - now for Microsoft to get off their bums and get that keynote up.. 0X

gorkon280
05-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Must have been Miss Fiorina that put the nix on the upgrades when 2003 SE came out. Wish they would upgrade the 4355, but alas, I was not hoping for it when I bought it. It likely could not support WM 5.0 because of a shallow ROM chip. We'll keep the 4355 until I can get a GOOD phone a year from This October on Verizon.

PDADoc
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I think the choice of devices included in the upgrade path reflect the company's choice to concentrate on Enterprise-level devices.

As the 3000 series is multimedia-centric, it just doesn't fit into the plan. And Jason, with regard to your statement about it being a $450 device, I say this: so what? The price point of the 3000 is about what most people pay for competing devices that do the same thing, music, videos, etc.

There is [probably] a tacit understanding that the demographic who purchase those devices aren't really interested in improved versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint anyway. If they were truly interested in those apps and used them everyday, they'd have purchased another device.

I'm sure there will probably be an angry response to this somewhere, as some people really take things like this personally, like Mac vs. PC. :)

At the end of the day, though, I agree with HP's decision, and it's no skin off my nose, anyway. :D

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 09:39 PM
And Jason, with regard to your statement about it being a $450 device, I say this: so what? The price point of the 3000 is about what most people pay for competing devices that do the same thing, music, videos, etc.

So what? Look, it's one thing to no provide an upgrade on an entry level $199 Pocket PC. The person who's buying the cheapest Pocket PC on the market either knows it probably won't get an upgrade, or they don't know any better. A $450 device is a mid/high end device that is a significantly larger investment, and the expectation of an upgrade is more reasonable. HP is alienating their customers, hurting the Pocket PC ecosystem, and I'm calling them out on it.

lorettaboy
05-10-2005, 09:48 PM
There is a very good reason for HP not to upgrade the rx3700 series to WM 5.0. Have you all forgotten about the filestore problem? A decent percentage of all rx3700's have this problem, I should know, I had 3 rx's in a row die because of this. And since WM 5.0 will be using the filestore as the primary data store, having it fail would be detrimental. I honestly don't know why HP has not pulled this device yet.
So, I think it is easy to see why it is in HP's best interest not to release an upgrade for this particular model.

Alpha2004
05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
There is a very good reason for HP not to upgrade the rx3700 series to WM 5.0. Have you all forgotten about the filestore problem? A decent percentage of all rx3700's have this problem, I should know, I had 3 rx's in a row die because of this. And since WM 5.0 will be using the filestore as the primary data store, having it fail would be detrimental. I honestly don't know why HP has not pulled this device yet.
So, I think it is easy to see why it is in HP's best interest not to release an upgrade for this particular model.

YOUR MAD.

IMO The rx3715 is one of the best pocket pc's ever made. Ever.
I have been through 5 different pocket pcs....and the rx3715 is a gem

I sent the following message to hp:

Over the past few years, many companies which have sold pocket pc's have neglected to offer upgrades to newer versions of windows mobile for existing devices. Today, I have witnessed nothing short of a miracle. Hp is offering a wm2005 upgrade for their hx series. While this is great news, offering this upgrade to only your hx series owners will alienate many other users, particularly those with RX3715's. This is one of the best pocket pcs available in the market, and it is fully capable of supporting windows mobile 2005. It is also a 400$ device. On behalf of all rx3715 series owners, I urge you to reconsider your current upgrade position, and I kindly ask that you consider releasing wm2005 for an excellent pocket pc; the RX3715. I have been through 5 different pocket pc's, and this one is a pure gem. Thank you for your consideration.

njl2016
05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I think the choice of devices included in the upgrade path reflect the company's choice to concentrate on Enterprise-level devices.

As the 3000 series is multimedia-centric, it just doesn't fit into the plan. And Jason, with regard to your statement about it being a $450 device, I say this: so what? The price point of the 3000 is about what most people pay for competing devices that do the same thing, music, videos, etc.

There is [probably] a tacit understanding that the demographic who purchase those devices aren't really interested in improved versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint anyway. If they were truly interested in those apps and used them everyday, they'd have purchased another device.

I'm sure there will probably be an angry response to this somewhere, as some people really take things like this personally, like Mac vs. PC. :)

At the end of the day, though, I agree with HP's decision, and it's no skin off my nose, anyway. :D

I disagree. Since the rx3715 is a fairly high-end model, one would think that it is a PDA for power-users that would like to have the latest and greatest.

lorettaboy
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
YOUR MAD.

Yeah, tell that to the hundreds of rx3700 owners who can no longer use their filestore. No, MAD is having 3 units fail in a row in a period of 6 weeks. I totally agree with you though, the 3700 is still my favorite PDA of all time, just way too unreliable.

Alpha2004
05-10-2005, 10:19 PM
YOUR MAD.

Yeah, tell that to the hundreds of rx3700 owners who can no longer use their filestore. No, MAD is having 3 units fail in a row in a period of 6 weeks. I totally agree with you though, the 3700 is still my favorite PDA of all time, just way too unreliable.

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off as mean.

Im very "emotional" right now, and extremely pissed.

Might as well be all or none.

delfuhd
05-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Give me an update for my 2210, and I won't be mad at hp anymore.

I dont give a hoot whether or not it really "needs" it. I was told expandability both with hardware and software was imminent, so hp where the heck is your expansion for my pocket pc that I spent four hundred dollars on?

Ivan
05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I applaud HP for supporting most of their new devices with a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade, especially after burning their customers so badly in the past, but I have to wonder why the 3000 series isn't part of this upgrade? The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :?

What about 1900 series users? Any chance my h1910 will be upgradeable to WM Five-O? :mrgreen:

KISSONLINEMobile
05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Again users of the MOST excellent 4150 are left out in the cold... :evil:

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
What about 1900 series users? Any chance my h1910 will be upgradeable to WM Five-O? :mrgreen:

Am I the only one who has the Hawaii 5-0 theme song play through their head when the new OS is discussed?

KISSONLINEMobile
05-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Does anyone from HP visit these boards?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to install the WM5 Upgrade on a system not listed as being upgradeable? :?:

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 11:23 PM

Does anyone know if it would be possible to install the WM5 Upgrade on a system not listed as being upgradeable? :?:

Unless the ROM upgrade is specifically and explicitly made for your device, it won't work. The systems are far too different to be able to use the ROM from one device model on another.

PDADoc
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
YOUR MAD.

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off as mean.

Im very "emotional" right now, and extremely pissed.

Might as well be all or none.

Alpha2004:

I hope you're (not "your") not emotional about this topic, or even really upset; it's just not worth it, IMHO. :)

KISSONLINEMobile
05-10-2005, 11:27 PM

Unless the ROM upgrade is specifically and explicitly made for your device, it won't work. The systems are far too different to be able to use the ROM from one device model on another.

OK. That's valid. Now, anyone have an email address of someone at HP to whom I can vent my rage? I promise not to use any four-letter words :wink:

PDADoc
05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
And Jason, with regard to your statement about it being a $450 device, I say this: so what? The price point of the 3000 is about what most people pay for competing devices that do the same thing, music, videos, etc.

So what? Look, it's one thing to no provide an upgrade on an entry level $199 Pocket PC. The person who's buying the cheapest Pocket PC on the market either knows it probably won't get an upgrade, or they don't know any better. A $450 device is a mid/high end device that is a significantly larger investment, and the expectation of an upgrade is more reasonable. HP is alienating their customers, hurting the Pocket PC ecosystem, and I'm calling them out on it.

Jason,

You're kidding, right? Even you, an MS-MVP, Mobile Devices, can't truly believe that, do you?

At the end of the day, I'm certain they've examined the feasibility of providing upgrades to various models and came to the business-related decision that it just wouldn't be practical. Knowing what you do about the nature of companies in general, do you really belive that HP would capriciously turn away another source of revenue?

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for HP (heck, I'm not even in the computer industry at all), but I'd like to think that there are probably some practical/technical concerns involved with providing an OS upgrade to some models which might preclude them altogether.

As much as people might complain about it, my take on it all is this: if you're truly unhappy with the business practices of one company, you can simply go to another with your business; that's what's so great about this world: choice. I say this without the least bit of anger, malice, or irony Just another disclaimer, BTW. :D [/b]

PDADoc
05-10-2005, 11:36 PM

OK. That's valid. Now, anyone have an email address of someone at HP to whom I can vent my rage? I promise not to use any four-letter words :wink:

WOW! People really get emotional about this, don't they? :)

PDADoc
05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Jason, one other thing:

is it truly realistic for people to purchase a device with a thought in the back of their minds that they're automatically entitled to an OS upgrade? I don't think so; in fact, I think that's what's wrong with our society in general: an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

Again, I say this without the slightest bit of anger, malice, or irony. :)

KISSONLINEMobile
05-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Jason, one other thing:

is it truly realistic for people to purchase a device with a thought in the back of their minds that they're automatically entitled to an OS upgrade? I don't think so; in fact, I think that's what's wrong with our society in general: an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

It's not "entitlement" when the unit is touted as being upgradeable as one of it's selling points. :?

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Jason, one other thing:

It's not "entitlement" when the unit is touted as being upgradeable as one of it's selling points. :?

Depends on what your expectation is of being upgradeable. I believe there WERE upgrades for those device in terms of ROM upgrades that fixed several issues. So they did provide upgrades, just not to next OS major rev.

I'm not disagreeing with you - in fact I agree that those devices had every technical reason to be upgraded to newer major versions. But technically speaking, they did what they were entitled to do.

PDADoc
05-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Your point is taken.

I can't recall: was the 3000 series marketed as upgradeable?

And here's an even more important question: if a device is marketed as being potentially upgradeable, does that mean it MUST be upgraded, even when an upgrade is available for another class of devices? And more to the point, would it be fair to say that it is within their rights to do this?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or a rabble-rouser, just playing Devil's Advocate; I'm not as emotionally invested in this as some might be, is all, so I tend to be a lot more objective about the whole thing. :)

mmidgley
05-11-2005, 12:12 AM
My PocketPC has 48MB Flash, 128MB RAM, and plenty of other stuff sufficient to run WM2003SE or even the latest WM5 just released. New devices have better screen resolutions, phone-hardware added on, and other goodies, but really haven't changed much otherwise in basic design. The lack of upgrades for all hardware capable devices is not a single event now, its a definite pattern. Don't plan on getting an upgrade unless you have a new PPC.

My investment in PPC software (like alex_kac's) will now dictate when I buy new hardware, not the OEMs. :evil: I hope they (developers) support PPC2003 for a while longer...

m.

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Did anyone notice that the new OS can be upgraded over the wire directly from MS? Its still too early to tell if it will really happen and how much of it will happen...

jngold_me
05-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Did anyone notice that the new OS can be upgraded over the wire directly from MS? Its still too early to tell if it will really happen and how much of it will happen...

Yeah, I saw that too. However, I think I read somewhere that it will be up to the OEM's to implement it or not.

mmidgley
05-11-2005, 01:32 AM
bill talks in the keynote speach about installing an OS [component?] update just as you would an application. seems like it'd work through the OEM or Microsoft direct.

m.

Kevin Daly
05-11-2005, 02:00 AM

Yeah, I saw that too. However, I think I read somewhere that it will be up to the OEM's to implement it or not.

The OEMs might actually appreciate saving themselves some work: producing a customised update isn't a trivial task.

timcolling
05-11-2005, 03:02 AM
...As much as people might complain about it, my take on it all is this: if you're truly unhappy with the business practices of one company, you can simply go to another with your business; that's what's so great about this world: choice.

Agreed. And that's why HP is no longer a "preferred" vendor for me - I'll go with Dell next time - they're less expensive and more likely to support their customers.

- Tim

timcolling
05-11-2005, 03:03 AM
...My investment in PPC software (like alex_kac's) will now dictate when I buy new hardware, not the OEMs. :evil: I hope they (developers) support PPC2003 for a while longer...

Same goes for me.
- Tim

echernosky
05-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Give me an update for my 2210, and I won't be mad at hp anymore.

I dont give a hoot whether or not it really "needs" it. I was told expandability both with hardware and software was imminent, so hp where the heck is your expansion for my pocket pc that I spent four hundred dollars on?

Dear HP,

I too have been sitting by my mailbox waiting for my 2003SE upgrade disk (I'll pay) for my 2215. Please cancel that order.

Just send me the upgrade for 2005 (I'll pay) and we'll call it even...

Ed

p.s.: Please don't bother trying to sell me a new "upgradeable" device... You're wasting your time.

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2005, 03:20 AM
As the 3000 series is multimedia-centric, it just doesn't fit into the plan.
I don't agree with that characterization of the 3715, though it may be what HP thinks. I see it more like a Media Center PC which is XP plus media enhancements. The 3715 is a fully equipped PPC, PLUS it has significant media capabilities including the camera, Nevo remote control and HPs media commander that lets you easily stream content to your PPC, or control your Media PC over WiFi. To think that folks are not cognizent of or concerned with the business functionality of the 3715, just because they opted for the addition of the media capabilities would be short sighted of HP. Note that at the time, your HP choice was the 4155 and 2215, both on their way out, or the 4700 or 3000 series. The 2700 hadn't come out at that time, the 4700 was pricy, large, and sported that odd touch panel, and the 3700 was a great device with numerous bonuses.

I'm going to be mildly miffed if my 3715 isn't offerred an upgrade, but I will take solace in the fact that my PPCTechs upgraded X50v will.

Now when I find out Motorola is not upgrading my MPX220 you might see some flames :evil:

Darius Wey
05-11-2005, 03:25 AM
The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :?

I can think of another one hundred reasons why I'd look outside the HP circle when shopping for a Pocket PC. It's nice that hx4700 users will get an upgrade ("when" is a question though), but I'm appalled to see high-end rx3000 users get left out in the dark. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2005, 03:26 AM
...As much as people might complain about it, my take on it all is this: if you're truly unhappy with the business practices of one company, you can simply go to another with your business; that's what's so great about this world: choice.

Agreed. And that's why HP is no longer a "preferred" vendor for me - I'll go with Dell next time - they're less expensive and more likely to support their customers.

- Tim

Not sure the X3 and X30 owners will share that view of Dell. Yes they upgraded the X5 from 2002 to 2003, but not to SE, and now there is a promise for X50s.

You go back far enough and you'll find every OEM has bright spots and black marks. As has been pointed out, upgradeable is a matter of capability. Every single flashable Pocket PC I've owned has received some form of upgrade. Not everyone has gotten a new OS.

Darius Wey
05-11-2005, 03:31 AM

You could give it a shot, but I doubt you'd get anywhere. If you were around for the release of WM2003SE, you would have seen many people get emotional about HP not releasing an update for the previous generation of devices. Arguments, petitions and what not all unfolded on these forums, as well as other websites. The end result? Jack.

Darius Wey
05-11-2005, 03:38 AM

Sven raises a lot of good points that you should keep in mind. Also, the rx3000 series isn't just a multimedia device. It is a Pocket PC, and can perform many of the functions that other Pocket PCs can. HP marketed it as a multimedia device. It had a camera, which the hx4700 did not have, so for some users, they opted for the rx3715 instead of the hx4700. Apart from that, the Nevo package served as something enticing for many users. Windows Mobile 5 builds upon the media experience with improved capabilities in Windows Media 10 Mobile, online services and the Windows Media synchronisation functionality. What rx3000 user should be left out of something that the device is capable of having. I don't own one, but I can certainly feel the pain of those who will miss out on an upgrade to the new OS. This is the primary reason why my support for HP's upgrade policy has dropped to an all-time low. "Dude, I'm getting a Dell".

mv
05-11-2005, 04:29 AM
As a 3715 owner, all I can say is ____ (insert here the four letter f word) HP.

:evil:

bnycastro
05-11-2005, 08:32 AM
imo hp is doing good with offering it's hx line an OS upgrade. however I'm more curious about the h63xx and hw65xx since these have phones in them and I feel these type of devices will benefit more from the new OS--both have 64MB ROM so I am not optimistic though. btw I used to own an hp h2210 and am now using an imate JAM which I know will probably be non upgradeable to WM5.0 but I don't mind I prefer to get a new device anyway, maybe an HTC universal hehehe.

joonsuan
05-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Breaking news:

I had a "chat" with a HP Customer Support personnel and the transcript is as follows:

##
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 11:52 AM] -- Status Message
Your request has been received by the Technical Support Centre, and has been put in the Singapore-Handheld queue until a support analyst is available.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 11:52 AM] --
Your support request has been submitted to HP. We are working on your problem and will contact you within one business hour (Monday-Friday , between 9am and 5pm local time ). For your reference, the Case ID is 2204876332.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 11:53 AM] -- Status Message
The HP Support technician, Bhagwat P has been assigned to your case.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 11:53 AM] --
Hello Joon,

Thank you for contacting HP and your interest in HP instant support program.I see you have a question on your product. I am going to take few moments to review the information of your product and message you back, right here, very soon. Please add this page to your favourites, in case you get disconnected or close your browser, so you may come back to this conversation.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 11:59 AM] --
You are being requested to contact your nearest service center to get the LCD screen examined. They will let u know the next course of action.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:04 PM] --
All display panel defects is being examined using both the brightest and darkest possible backgrounds and front light settings because some sub-pixel failures may not be readily visible under certain conditions.
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:04 PM] --
I regret Windows Mobile 5.0 Upgrade is not available from HP..
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:14 PM] --
ok, thanks for the clarification
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:15 PM] --
You are Welcome
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:16 PM] --
May i help you with any other query?
[ Fri, May 13, 2005 12:31 PM] --
If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again.
Thank you again for contacting the New HP and have a great day.
##

OK, I have highlighted one line up there...and HP is NOT offering Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade...

Go figure...

Darius Wey
05-13-2005, 07:49 AM
OK, I have highlighted one line up there...and HP is NOT offering Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade...

Interesting. To be honest, I think I'd trust an official press release over a few words made by a member of HP's support division. He seems to be ill-informed over the company's plans.

PDADoc
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm as indifferent to that as I was to the previous upgrades. If they do, fine, if they don't, also fine.

I have been satisfied with nearly all of the features in the hx4700 as it is. Are there bugs? Sure, but nothing I can't live with.

If they don't offer the upgrade, but include it in a future device, then I may or may not purchase it; although the chances are very good that I will.

No stress in my day over this. . . .

If this is the WORST thing to worry about, then I should be so lucky! :)

Fudai
05-14-2005, 12:34 AM
HOORAY!!!! :D

Jon Westfall
05-14-2005, 12:52 AM

Interesting. To be honest, I think I'd trust an official press release over a few words made by a member of HP's support division. He seems to be ill-informed over the company's plans.

Technical Support Stock Answer #1 - "I'm sorry sir, we can't do that"
Technical Support Stock Answer #2 - "I'm sorry sir, we're not going to offer that"

I'll believe a press release over a customer service rep who believes "you" is spelled "u"

rk325
05-17-2005, 03:13 PM
:|

I was wondering...just browsed through the specs. for Windows Mobile 2005.......and it says very clearly that it will provide an API for accessing the camera hardware attached to the device. The developer will be able to control and integrate the capture of pictures &amp; video into their applications......

Today IPAQ provides this camera API as part of the SDK for an extra $199 /year......this is for the model rx3715, the one with the camera . Obviously if they upgrade this device to Windows Mobile 2005, then they will not be able to sell their API. This is a good reason (I think) for not offering the upgrade on this model.

What are your thoughts?