View Full Version : Addictive Technologies?

Janak Parekh
11-02-2004, 05:45 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://weblogs.asp.net/vbertocci/archive/2004/10/29/249750.aspx' target='_blank'>http://weblogs.asp.net/vbertocci/ar.../29/249750.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"There are things that are striking with their pure usefulness, and leave you wonder how you managed without in the past (and makes you panic to the idea of find yourself without in the future!). In fact, the last 10 years were especially rich of those things: here I'll list (in random order) some of the technologies that I'm entirely addicted to, but there was a time when I lived without."</i><br /><br />Here's a list from one person. I agree with a lot of them, although I'd put my Toshiba e805 Pocket PC (and my shiny new Samsung i600 Smartphone, which is a story for another day) as explicit entries on the list as well. ;) Oh, and tabbed browsing! What's your "addictive technologies"?

ctmagnus
11-02-2004, 06:13 AM
My 4: broadband, mouse wheel, microwave ovens and anything to do with Pocket PCs.

Mitch D
11-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Broadband, WiFi, PocketPC (who'd have thunk it?), cell phone and computer equipment... Anything electronic that is shiny and new.

Darius Wey
11-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Well I can't really add more to the original list, except my Pocket PC and computer. I do have to add Blu Tac (http://blu-tac.wikiverse.org/) to the list though. Where would the world be without Blu Tac? :lol:

Felix Torres
11-02-2004, 06:25 AM
E-books!!

Whether on PocketPC, TabletPC, or SmartPhone, they are way more immersive than treeware, lighter, and more convenient. Nothing like reading with background music from the same device.

KTamas
11-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Worms Armageddon, Pocket PC, Firefox and Tabbed Browsing, Broadband, Norton Commander (and Total Commander of course), Flux Challenge...

jgalindo
11-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Great List. There is a lot of software I can't live without anymore (outlook, ewallect, pocket money.....) but I have to mention one I purchased today, pocket controller.

Now I can answer and make phone calls that come through my pocket pc by using my bluetooth mouse to click on my Tablet PC screen and using my bluetooth headset without having to lift my pocket pc from the cradle.

8)

OneAngryDwarf
11-02-2004, 07:45 AM
ebooks - I was skeptical at first but now I won't read a book unless I can read it on my handheld

GPS - Just moved to LA and its the only reason I'm able to get around

GPRS - Great when you are really bored but crucial when I'm out and about and need to get somewhere using my GPS and don't know the address... Might be a bit slow but its a lot better than trying to find a phonebook everywhere I go.

Bluetooth - this is a bit redundant since I use bluetooth for my GPS and to connect to my BT phone (for GPRS)

k_kirk
11-02-2004, 07:56 AM
TiVo & Time shifting on live TV. MP3 or digital music more broadly. Just two things that come to my mind off the top.

ricksfiona
11-02-2004, 08:09 AM
My Monte Blanc pen. No batteries, no startup time, lightweight and TONS of style :D

smashcasi
11-02-2004, 08:16 AM
DVRs. ReplayTV made television enjoyable again. And in the department of the obvious: broadband.

maximus
11-02-2004, 08:28 AM
GPRS, SMS, Full Time AWD with ACD, Traction Control, INVECS 3 Automatic Transmission+Tiptronic+ASC, Ventilated Brembo Disc Brakes, Twin Scroll Turbine Turbochargers, ABS, and EBD.

Cant live without them. :mrgreen:

bjornkeizers
11-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Too many to list really. Here's a short list:

- Broadband internet; it really changed my everyday life.
- WiFi. Internet everywhere from study halls to bathroom stalls!
- Another vote for Ebooks!
- Optical mice
- Internet banking

Just to name a few :D

sebringal
11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
online shopping
cruise control!
microwave
"drive through"
"frost free"
"self cleaning"

SteveHoward999
11-02-2004, 06:37 PM
laptop computer
DVDs
PDA
iPOD
mobile phone
wi-fi
broadband internet
PDA with GPS
PDA+ electronic books
Internet
tv remote
air conditioning - it's STILL over 80 degrees here in Mississipi
digital camera
flash memory

... couldn't live without the above.

Albegor
11-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Oh, and tabbed browsing! What's your "addictive technologies"?

Tabbed browsing is the most recent one for me and the reason of my switch to Mozila Firebird, definitely can't live without it! :D