View Full Version : Windows XP SP2 and Bluetooth - Not So Happy Together?

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.thepdaguy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=82' target='_blank'>http://www.thepdaguy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=82</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A couple of weeks I ago I decided to install the Release Candidate of Windows XP SP2 on my main (and only at this stage) home PC. The installation was a breeze and it included an inbuilt Bluetooth stack. I thought that the integration of Bluetooth into the operating system would be a GOOD THING. Now I'm not so sure. The Bluetooth stack works. I can connect both Spike and Angelus to my PC and Activesync and Hotsync respectively. I can connect my cell phones and it seems quite reliable. However, what it doesn't have is support for networking..."</i><br /><br />I was really hoping that SP2 would make Bluetooth as easy for Windows users to use as it is for Mac users, but it's sure not looking like that's the case. Yeah, yeah, I know for some of you Bluetooth works great. But for me, the differing implementations and confusing UI from different companies makes for a broken product experience. I want solid native support for Bluetooth in Windows XP, something that makes sense and works. Something with a a professionally developed user interface - something that I can actually understand.

ctmagnus
05-30-2004, 05:10 AM
8O Maybe I won't install SP2 after all.

heliod
05-30-2004, 05:11 AM
I have the same impression. Worse in my case, it doesn't seem to have support for Headsets, something that was basic in the Widcomm stack and very important for me for conducting Web conferencing.

A friend and me are testing a hack that will allow us to inhibit the Windows stack and install the Widcomm stack again. At the moment I have some news I will tell here.

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 05:15 AM
I have the same impression. Worse in my case, it doesn't seem to have support for Headsets, something that was basic in the Widcomm stack and very important for me for conducting Web conferencing.

Ok, that just blows me away. Headset use would be my #1 scenario if I had Bluetooth on this computer...what the hell is Microsoft thinking? Someone please tell me this is a mistake... :cry:

freitasm
05-30-2004, 05:41 AM
The only real good thing on Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth is that you have native support to a variety of certified hardware. So no more installation of customised drivers before using TDK, Belkin or some other brands.

However, as you noticed it's not fully functional. It does not support networking, headsets, and a couple of other important profiles.

The UI is very good, less confusing than the Widcomm, but it also offer way less.

The big problem is that once installed, it completely mix up everything. I had that installed on one desktop and had to reinstall Windows XP fresh after being unable to pair some devices - including my iPAQ. :?

Zack Mahdavi
05-30-2004, 06:00 AM
I think the fact that Microsoft is providing Bluetooth support in SP2 is a BIG head start. This is a major leap in easing the headache of bluetooth connectivity on Windows. Sure, there will be features that won't be included, but Microsoft is good about adding features in future updates.

I'm just glad Microsoft has finally added Bluetooth support to the OS.. maybe now people will know how to use it.. :)

kosmicki
05-30-2004, 06:34 AM
This is RC1 of SP2 correct? Read something that said there will be an RC2 then a final. Perhaps it will get fixed then.

surur
05-30-2004, 09:03 AM
This is just crap! This is like the bluetooth stack on the XDA2, another microsoft stack with hardly any functionality at all. What a waste of time! The worst part is a manufacturer may now ship their dongle or built-in devices (e.g on a laptop) without a proper stack, choosing to rely on the completely inadequate Microsoft stack and save a few bucks.

and of course widdcomm et all will go out of business, just like winsock etc.

Why cant Microsoft sometimes make things better than the current standard, not always try and play catchup and do something thats just good enough, but not very good at all?

Surur :bad-words:

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 10:15 AM
This is RC1 of SP2 correct? Read something that said there will be an RC2 then a final. Perhaps it will get fixed then.
i hope this is the case, the more friends having BT on their computer, the more freedom we have

Pixelnose
05-30-2004, 02:45 PM
As a bluetooth Mac user, whenever I go over to my husband's pc to install something (darn developers not realizing that it's not only pc users who use pocketpc! 0X ), sometimes the bluetooth just decides, ok now I won't work. No one knows why, it can't be explained. But yeah, it's a real pain.

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 03:50 PM

I wish that would be the case, but once they hit RC status, Microsoft tends to only fix bugs, not add in new features such as new profiles.

Jason Dunn
05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
and of course widdcomm et all will go out of business, just like winsock etc.

Widcomm actually got bought by Broadcom recently. Broadcom makes WiFi chipsets...

Jerry Raia
05-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Did anyone who installed the XP remove current BT drivers first? I wonder if that would make a difference with regard to problems.

Anthony Caruana
05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Did anyone who installed the XP remove current BT drivers first? I wonder if that would make a difference with regard to problems.

Hehe...the irony was that it all worked. That was with the Widcomm stack. Then I igured native support from SP2 should be OK. So I uninstalled the Widcomm stack and let Win XP SP2 do its thing. That's when i discovered the crappy BT implementation.

All of theat aside, my biggest gripe is that I can't go back to the Widcomm stack.

Kacey Green
05-30-2004, 08:00 PM
so if you upgrade, you can get the widcomm stack?
but on a fresh install or after an uninstall you can't?

what is the url for Belkin driver updates for their BT dongles? I was there for over an hour and couldn't find them

Mark_Venture
05-30-2004, 08:00 PM
All of theat aside, my biggest gripe is that I can't go back to the Widcomm stack.
Try what is listed HERE (http://www.jonsguides.com/bt/en/msft.html) (Main start page is HERE (http://www.jonsguides.com/bt/en/))

leemperor (as the person responsible for that site is know on GSM Forum (http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=237) ) has collected good info on installing and configuring BlueTooth software.

Kacey Green
05-30-2004, 08:01 PM
hehe, we posted at the exact same time :lol:

Thanks for the link, it says IBM though, would it work with belkin?

gorkon280
05-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Ok Folks. This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE. Sometimes there are all sorts of bugs in these and there MAY even be more the one release candidate. Even so, this is just one persons opinion. I, for one, will wait until SP2 is out before I develop any opinions. Besides, all I use my PC for is installing software on my PPC because the developers think it's too hard to drag and drop a cab file(unlike Mac Developers....). Again, I use my Mac the most (other then my work PC and soon a work laptop.).

gorkon280
05-30-2004, 09:50 PM
No BT serial support? That's stupid. I can live without the lan support as it's not for lan's. Wifi is for Lans. But no serial? That means NO BT GPS out of box for XP and that's bad.

Jonathan1
05-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Ok, that just blows me away. Headset use would be my #1 scenario if I had Bluetooth on this computer...what the hell is Microsoft thinking? Someone please tell me this is a mistake... :cry:

I think this is pretty typical of Microsoft. They are so focused on one thing, in this case security with SP2, that they are lax on a number of other techs they are rolling out or enhancing with SP2. I swear the behavior at that company sometimes makes me think they have 4 people sitting in a back room with 1 light bulb pounding out code vs. an army of programmers.
The conspiracy theorist in my through wants to suggest this will be included in Windows XP: Reloaded or what ever name they give to that XP release that is going to be put out in the interim between XP and Longhorn. Gotta give people SOME reason to buy a MS OS but every time I think conspiracy theory I point to my signature to remind me there are other possibilities. :deal:

Jonathan1
05-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Ok Folks. This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE. Sometimes there are all sorts of bugs in these and there MAY even be more the one release candidate. Even so, this is just one persons opinion. I, for one, will wait until SP2 is out before I develop any opinions. Besides, all I use my PC for is installing software on my PPC because the developers think it's too hard to drag and drop a cab file(unlike Mac Developers....). Again, I use my Mac the most (other then my work PC and soon a work laptop.).

Baring a miracle from on high RC have the features and specs generally locked in. By the time RC status occurs MS is typically focused on one and only one thing: scrubbing any final reported or captured bugs out of the code vs. adding features. Is it possible they could add these profiles before the gold code? Sure it is but its unlikely. Then again the release date HAS been pushed back to this fall so its possible someone from MS might see this and go:
:jawdrop:

[edit: Er....ya...what jason said.... :roll: Might help to read the thread. :roll: ]

Ed Hansberry
05-30-2004, 10:31 PM
keep inlmind when it went to RC, there was a May release target. it has slipped to the fall, possibly to hammer some of this out. Or, it could have just been real buggy. I'm waiting for a million or so others to test the Gold version before I use it. :wink:

freitasm
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
No BT serial support? That's stupid. I can live without the lan support as it's not for lan's. Wifi is for Lans. But no serial? That means NO BT GPS out of box for XP and that's bad.

There's BT Serial support on SP2 RC1.

gohtor
05-31-2004, 12:26 AM
I haven't had any luck getting it to work with my msi bluetooth dongle

alex_kac
05-31-2004, 03:08 AM

Off topic here, but yeah - it *is* too hard for most PC users to drag a CAB file. We do our official releases via CAB and desktop installers and all betas with CABs only. Its amazing that even with detailed instructions I sometimes still have to walk people through the process. A few times over the phone.

So yes - desktop installers are a must on Windows :) I'd personally say they even have some merit on the Mac - but not so much to install as to uninstall any pref files, application support files, and Dock aliases. Unfortunately none of the installers on the Mac ever have uninstallers. So its screwed up IMHO.

adamz
05-31-2004, 04:55 AM
Uhm.. SP2 does have Bluetooth network support. Personal Area Network (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/xp_sp2_bt02.gif).
It also has Serial port support and that works with GPS recievers just fine. ActiveSync works, but you still have to set it up with COM ports. Headsets will bond, but there are no Headset profiles. Bluetooth Modems work fine. Some older Ericson phones may not work with the non-final builds.

WIDCOMM drivers will work if you upgrade, but you will not be able to bond with any new devices. Microsoft's stance is that this is an external problem... WIDCOMM needs to update their software to work with SP2.

ctmagnus
05-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Uhm.. SP2 does have Bluetooth network support. Personal Area Network (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/xp_sp2_bt02.gif).

Yeah, but we want LOCAL Area Network support back. ;)

Costjim
05-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Hi everyone

Need some help I just installed the XP SP2 and I can no longer activesync. It keeps telling me to restart and if problem persists contact my administrator

Any ideas how to fix this

thanks, Jim

Janak Parekh
05-31-2004, 05:38 AM
Need some help I just installed the XP SP2 and I can no longer activesync. It keeps telling me to restart and if problem persists contact my administrator
My suggestion is to uninstall SP2. It's not final release and will be difficult to support.

--janak

Anthony Caruana
05-31-2004, 06:27 AM
My suggestion is to uninstall SP2. It's not final release and will be difficult to support.--janak

Easier said than done. I can't find any way to remove SP2. Oh well, now that I'm Maccing it it worries me less. :-)

willowpc
05-31-2004, 09:43 AM
To uninstall with RC1:
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Open Add or Remove Programs
Make sure Show Updates is checked at the top of the list
Windows XP Service Pack 2 should be toward the bottom of the list.
Click it and uninstall

Mark_Venture
05-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the link, it says IBM though, would it work with belkin?
Yeah, it should. But I haven't taken the step of installing SP2 yet, so I can not tell you from first hand experience, only what I've read.

IBM does appear to have the "latest" version (build 1.4.3.4) of the Widcomm stuff compared to the other vendors (belkin only has 1.4.2.10), so that is what he is using.

Apart from the slightly newer release, (i.e. a couple features and bug fixes, but not much listed in the revision history on the IBM site HERE (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-50245)), the base Widcomm software is the same, it appears only the license file is different. (permits operation with only IBM or Belkin, or TDK, etc. device vs software download... i.e. you can't download from the belkin site and use it with a TDK BT adapter, etc.)

Jonathan1
05-31-2004, 09:25 PM
In regards to SP2 I had my first XP crash after installing it. The dll the BSOD showed was a SP2 file related to WIFI. So I can somewhat understand why MS pushed the release date back. Above and beyond that I don't like how it treats the user. Example. I install a patch with SP2 it bugs the crap out of you every 5 minutes to reboot. I hope to god MS has a GroupPolicy setting to set the amount of time it nags you. Set it for 3 hours or something and I'd be fine but when I'm in the middle of a project and DO NOT have time to reboot I do NOT need to be nagged every 5, 15 whatever minutes. I will reboot the system at the end of the day. STOP BUGGING ME! *whaps his computer with his Nerf bat*
Beyond that I think Windows Update is convoluted as heck but that's me. *shrugs*
Finally I hate the Security Center. Of the 3 items that are listed they don't function the same way between all 3. Example. (bear in mind that I no longer have SP2 on any of my systems this is from memory so sorry of this is off.) you can set options for autoupdate /Firewall / AntiVirus from the Sec Center. If you wish you can go back into the Sec Center and alter those settings further by clicking on the properties with one exception. Firewall. You can't go back in and make changes. The Sec Center only allows you to turn the firewall on not turn it off or tweak it. But AntiVirus and Autoupdates do. So what does the user have to do? Wade through the control panel to look for the firewall and its settings. So much for consistency in Windows.

As has been stated before it’s a pretty good bet MS has locked the features and specs in on SP2 but I wish they would do some functionality cleanup as well. This is one thing, IMHO, Apple excels, when they try, at and something I wish MS would “get”.

jcmoffitt
06-01-2004, 01:37 AM
I purchased this H2215 at a very reasonable rate. One of the selling points was that it comes with Bluetooth enabled. Silly rabbit, bluetooth only provides me with a pretty blue light that blinks when I enable it on my PocketPC. Do I get something more out of this bluetooth protocol or am I destined to watch the pretty blue light forever? LOL... Dont worry, I leave it off since it is pretty worthless to me. I am assuming that the only way that I will USE this bluetooth capability is to have a printer or some other computer peripheral on my home network that is bluetooth compatible??

I recently purchased a SanDisk CF 802.11B wireless card for my Pocket PC in hopes that during my trip to Houston Texas that I could use it for wireless access at the two airports I was in. Guess what... Not only did the airports not provide or offer wireless ( even though they advertise WiFi hotspots in several terminals) but they also ripped all the data ports out of the pay phones so you can not dial up via an analog modem to get your e-mail.

What a farce.....

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 08:10 AM
you could get a BT dongle for your PC for ~$10-50

mhuie
06-04-2004, 07:30 PM
1. Dont install RC/Beta software.. duh. Complaining about it? Even worse.

2. No one complains that the built in calculator doesnt support graphing. INSTALL something better. (get better drivers)

People always bitching... :roll: :roll:

Anthony Caruana
06-05-2004, 01:17 AM
1. Dont install RC/Beta software.. duh. Complaining about it? Even worse.

2. No one complains that the built in calculator doesnt support graphing. INSTALL something better. (get better drivers)

People always bitching... :roll: :roll:

Hi there mhuie

Umm...just one thing. If what I originally wrote was perceived as bitching then it wasn't really the case. Call it a rant if you like but the idea was to inform people of what I learned.

RC level software is considered to be close to release status. It's not perfect but it's close to what will be released.

BTW - I have had some response from Microsoft which I'll post at my site shortly.

Jonathon Watkins
06-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Umm...just one thing. If what I originally wrote was perceived as bitching then it wasn't really the case. Call it a rant if you like but the idea was to inform people of what I learned.

RC level software is considered to be close to release status. It's not perfect but it's close to what will be released.

BTW - I have had some response from Microsoft which I'll post at my site shortly.

Your input is appreciated Anthony! Share and share alike. Any chance of posting the response in this thread as well? :wink:

Anthony Caruana
06-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Just pop over to ThePDAGuy, (www.thepdaguy.com) I posted the response there.