View Full Version : Router connection problems - Help please.

tanalasta
04-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Hi,
I'm running a Windows 98 (first edition) desktop and just can't seem to connect to my netgear DG834G router. There's nothing wrong with the router as my brother's computer can use it fine.

The short story is everything seems to be correctly set up (windows says my network card is present and working, it's bound to tcp/ip, properties are setup correctly). Green led's are flashing happily on router/card which are connected using a standard cat5 cable.

But I don't get assigned an IP address. When I run winipcfg: the Ip address is 0.0.0.0 and DHCP server 255.255.255.255 as if my network card didn't exist. So I can't ping (host unreachable) or even connect to my router at 192.168.0.1 So I can't access my router configuration page nor connect to my adsl. Any ideas on how to proceed? Install another network card perhaps?

Steven Cedrone
04-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Is the router set up as a DHCP server? Can you assign a static IP address and get to the router? The CAT5 cable, is it one that you had working before? When you say the lights are blinkng, they are blinking both on the router (for the port you are connected to) and on the NIC?

Steve

tanalasta
04-08-2004, 05:40 AM
Yes, the router (a netgear DG834G) should be set up as a DHCP server. I tried assigning a static IP to the NIC but couldn't get it to work. The CAT5 cables i tried are brand new x 2. And lights are blinking on both the router and NIC.

I'm starting to think it's a win98 (first edition) issue. It just doesn't seem to be communicating with my network card and utilising it to try to communicate with or even locate the router. This is despite windows device manager telling me the NIC is properly installed and working normally. When i try to ping the router at 192.168.0.1 I get "destination unreachable". I've heard that win98 (first edition) has issues with networking/network cards and went and bought another NIC today. Hope it works.

Beautiful wireless connection to the router from my brother's new laptop :)

tanalasta
04-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Yep, there's something with the pci NIC that's buggered. I bought a USB ethernet adapter today and it works fine and dandy now. True plug & play :)

Steven Cedrone
04-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear that you have it working now!

Steve