View Full Version : Objection to post editing

JohnnyFlash
04-05-2004, 05:30 PM
I'd like everyone who views this post to know that this post does not reflect what I originally wrote in the post, but rather, it reflects what Kati Compton wanted you to see of my post.

I am sick to death of control freaks permeating everything within society. If I could, I'd completely delete the post. I'd rather not be heard, than have my thoughts edited by others for no good reason. Here is the exchange between Kati and I:

I took out the more descriptive wording in your post about kissing butts... it was a bit much.

Just FYI.

I disagree Katy. I'm nobody on this site, so I have no option but to take it up the tailpipe and accept your decision. But, your editing of my last line completely destroyed the flavor and humor of my post. How unfortunate.

A bit much for whom? For you? I'll bet most of the other community members would have found it funny. There wasn't a single swear word or curse in the post. You castrated the mental imaging I was attempting to portray in the interest of humor.

You know, Kati..people like you are a good example of what is wrong with society in general right now, You believe that your standard is the only appropriate one, and the only one that counts or matters. You water down (or dumb down) everything you can get your hands on so that others cannot see, hear or read anything with which you disagree.

I believe the world would be a better place with fewer control freaks like you in it.

Kati Compton
04-05-2004, 05:52 PM
1. I do not use "my" standards. I use the standards of the forum.
2. The other moderator agreed that the post should be edited, based on the standards of the forum.
3. I did not change the general meaning of the post, I changed only the last sentence, and left the general meaning of even that sentence intact.
4. I can "get my hands on" every post on this site. I edit very few.

Normally, a thread like this would be sent to the Hall of Flame and Shame. However, since this issue is censorship, I will leave it open if you can be civil in the discussion.

I'm not saying you can't publicly criticize me or disagree with my actions, but you must do so without nasty personal attacks, etc. if you want to keep the thread open.

These are the standards of the board, and it's my job to uphold them.

Kevin C. Tofel
04-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Two thoughts:

1. I appreciate the news update as my Tosh is geedily awaiting the OS upgrade.
2. The point of the news post is really to post the news....the moderation of the post didn't diminish that at all.

We have to keep in mind that the moderators have a role and I don't see anything wrong with that role....they also provide this service on their own time. Not trying to pick a fight or take sides, but we all have to remember the purpose of the community....

Any chance you two can :ladysman: and make up???

Peace,
KCT

Empyrean
04-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I visit this site quite a bit and I like the overall "tone" it has. This is direct reflection on the moderation skills of the moderators. Here is my two cents..

It is my belief that you respect someone's wishes if you are in their home. So, if I go over someone's house and they ask me to remove my shoes -- I remove them. Just like if I ask people not to smoke in mine. The same level of respect and courtesy applies to any independantly operated website. Feel free to enjoy the services they provide but respect their rules.

In addition, I do have a problem with publicly critizing a moderator. If you get into a dispute with your significant other, do you put up a billboard in hopes that all drive-byers rally to your cause? No. You handle it respectfully and privately. If you can't come to an agreement you can choose to respectfully disagree.

Free speech is public right which is easily taken away but another's right to manage what they own in the manner that they see fit.

--AJ

JohnnyFlash
04-05-2004, 07:47 PM
1. I do not use "my" standards. I use the standards of the forum.
2. The other moderator agreed that the post should be edited, based on the standards of the forum.
3. I did not change the general meaning of the post, I changed only the last sentence, and left the general meaning of even that sentence intact.
4. I can "get my hands on" every post on this site. I edit very few.

Normally, a thread like this would be sent to the Hall of Flame and Shame. However, since this issue is censorship, I will leave it open if you can be civil in the discussion.

I'm not saying you can't publicly criticize me or disagree with my actions, but you must do so without nasty personal attacks, etc. if you want to keep the thread open.

These are the standards of the board, and it's my job to uphold them.

Kati~

I will respond to your most recent post where appropriate, and using the same numbers you used above:

1. If you believe in the standards you are "upholding", then they ARE also your standards, whether or not they were originally laid down by PPCT. If you adopted them because you agreed with them, or for any other reason, then they are "YOURS". If they are not also "yours", then you definitely should NOT be upholding them.

2. If the other moderator agreed with you, then perhaps I am wrong. It has happened before. However, having said that, I feel compelled to point out that just because a majority of people believe something, that doesn't make it right. Also, I believe it is apparent that I have no idea what the "standards of the board" are. I was under the impression that as long as you didn't swear or post anything illegal, and as long as the content was about PPCs, then one could post. I now have no idea what the guidelines are, therefore, I will no longer post.

3. At no point did I say that you changed the "meaning" of my post. In fact, I never even used the word "meaning" at any place in my original or second post. I said you destroyed the flavor and humor, and later said you castrated the mental image presented by my post. Why are you referencing something that I never even said? Again, you are altering the thoughts I have attempted to share with the community. Following your alteration of my words, I asked my spouse to look at the post, she agreed that the changes you made did not sound like something I would write. You took what were originally my thoughts, and abridged them in such a way that they no longer represented anything even similar to something I would write. It just wasn't "me" anymore.

4. The statement regarding altering anything you get your hands on was a reference to "control freaks" in general, and was intended as a figure of speech. Perhaps I should have done a more thorough job of explaining myself.

Plus, I believe I have been completely civil throughout this discussion. However, to be totally honest, I do not care whether the thread stays open or not. It's original flavor or "tone" has been lost, and its' continued existence seems pointless to me now.

Finally, after also reading Empyrean's follow up post to this unfortunate thread (that this matter should have been handled respectfully, and in private), I have come to the unmistakable conclusion that I do not belong as part of this community. As a father of two, I have always taught my children that EVERY person should be treated with courtesy and dignity, but that respect has to be earned. And further, that only each individual can decide what it is that he or she respects.

It is with honestly a GREAT deal of sorrow that this will be my last post to Pocket PC Thoughts. I loved this site..and still do. I realize that this may open me up to a good deal of not only criticism, but mockery as well, but I feel this is one of those instances where complete honesty is best:

I am now sitting in my office, door closed, crying like a child. I will miss this site immensely. The comraderie, the fellowship, the brotherhood. It has been the first page I have looked at in the morning, and the last one I have seen before falling asleep at night ever since I found it. So many evenings my oldest son and I have sat together and read the posts, learned together, laughed at the humor together. I am sure that he will miss these times as much as I. I have genuinely loved it. But I also now realize that I do not belong here, and that I have no business interfering in a place where I do not fit in. For this I feel guilty, and I am sorry. Truly sorry.

Please tell Jason that I apologize. I guess I never really understood what the site was about, or how to truly fit in, and become a part of the community. I believe in what he has accomplished here, and I wish him, and ALL of the members well. But it would not be fair to the other members, or to myself, for me to stay in a place where I am not welcome, my thoughts are not wanted, and, most importantly, I can't really be me.

(oh, Jeez, I think I may have damaged the spacebar on my laptop by dripping tears onto the keys.......I feel so stupid) :cry:

Fishie
04-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Wow such drama.

One would think this is Livejournal instead of PPCT

Kati Compton
04-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Wow such drama.
Gets my vote for Most Involved Discussion Relating To Removal Of Anal Description From PPCT Post. Or MIDRRADPP for short...

Kevin C. Tofel
04-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with not posting anymore. If you feel that this is a community, I can tell you I agree with you on that point...this is a community. I learned something very valuable by your post: as a fellow e805 owner, I may be able to download an upgrade later this week. That information as well as the comraderie in this blog is what makes this a great place.

If people decide not to post anymore, that diminishes the value for everyone. If we are going to post here, we have to accept the rules of the community, which I don't think are really that stringent. Notice I didn't say we have to "agree" with the rules, just accept them.

If you can't accept them, then I again say the value for everyone has potentially been diminished. Keep in mind why you came here in the first place.......isn't this the same place that kept you coming back.....in fact, it's likely that it's even a better place.....

Peace,
KCT

Kati Compton
04-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Since no one has anything to add to this discussion, I'm moving it to the HOFS.

( Note: It was moved from http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26605 ).

Janak Parekh
04-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I am now sitting in my office, door closed, crying like a child. I will miss this site immensely. The comraderie, the fellowship, the brotherhood.
Sorry to be contributing to this thread so late, but I can say that perhaps the biggest reason this site feels like a community and has so much comraderie is because of the two moderators and the hard work they do. I encourage to you to check out unmoderated sites, and in my opinion, you don't get the same feeling.

Both Kati and Steve freely admit they're human, and they make judgement calls -- but in general, their taste is very good and is indeed very representative of the community.

--janak

Jason Dunn
04-06-2004, 08:00 AM
I hate replying to a locked thread, but I wanted my position to be known: I support my moderators 100%, and I would have done exactly the same thing if I had read the original verbiage of Blammage's post. It simply wasn't appropriate for this site.

Blammage, I'm sorry that you no longer feel this site is a suitable place for you, but ultimately Kati's call was the correct one. This is an "all ages" site and we strive for a PG-13 rated site in terms of tone, language, and content. I have a fairly racey sense of humour myself, and I have to tone it down on my front page posts because I'm writing for a very wide age range.

Every community is different, and they all have rules of conduct. Your rather colourful description for the orifice in question crossed the line of what is acceptable here, and Kati was correct in editing your post slightly to keep the same basic message.

I'd urge you to re-consider your decision to leave this site. Part of community and fellowship is teaching and correction, and I would hope you'd see the value in that. :-)

Since people can't comment in this thread, please feel free to PM me if you want to comment on something I've said.