View Full Version : Software to "BeWare" of?

JohnnyFlash
01-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi, all!

While I have been a PPC user for quite some time (I started with a Journada 520), I have for the most part stuck to the free software that has been available on the net.

But, as I have grown into more of what I would consider a "serious" user, I have seen the need to move into some of the more robust apps, utilities and games. However, my hobby can get kind rather expensive, rather quickly...as I'm sure you all well know.

Plus, I don't always have the time necessary to devote to trying out or testing many of the available solutions. And I've heard from others that poorly designed or written code can really trash your device.

So, I'm hoping for a little friendly community guidance. What "for pay" software have you purchased or tried in the past that stands out in your mind as simply AWFUL. Stuff that was SO AWFUL, that you feel that a warning to others would be in order. I would really appreciate your help in steering me away from anything that at best would be a waste of time, or at worst would amount to information super-"highway robbery".

Thanks for anything you feel like sharing! :D

drop
01-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Try these threads :wink: :

What are the must have apps for ppc (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13814&start=0)

Must have software list for PPC??? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16802&highlight=musthave+apps)

What 'must have' software should I install? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10141&highlight=musthave+apps)

jmkeuning
01-11-2004, 09:35 AM
cosmi Portable Journal is a total piece of crap. It says it runs on the Pocket PC but you can really only export you files in some half-cocked way and the tech support sucks. Total rip off.

www.portablejournal.com

Mr_Know
01-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi, all!

While I have been a PPC user for quite some time (I started with a Journada 520), I have for the most part stuck to the free software that has been available on the net.

But, as I have grown into more of what I would consider a "serious" user, I have seen the need to move into some of the more robust apps, utilities and games. However, my hobby can get kind rather expensive, rather quickly...as I'm sure you all well know.

Plus, I don't always have the time necessary to devote to trying out or testing many of the available solutions. And I've heard from others that poorly designed or written code can really trash your device.

So, I'm hoping for a little friendly community guidance. What "for pay" software have you purchased or tried in the past that stands out in your mind as simply AWFUL. Stuff that was SO AWFUL, that you feel that a warning to others would be in order. I would really appreciate your help in steering me away from anything that at best would be a waste of time, or at worst would amount to information super-"highway robbery".

Thanks for anything you feel like sharing! :D

Best and stable PPC Desktop is "Face Lift" absolutly GREAT!!!
Win 98 like Start Menu ,- ...it is Free Software! All buttons and background is skined ...and you can choose your own icon sets and many more!

Best PPC Explorer is "Resco Explorer" absolutly Wonderful Perfekt!
This one is better and comfotable as the Win XP Explorer, for sure!

Today Plugin "Spb Pocket Plus" is stable and quite good, add many needed features...full screen IE ...close X Button and Desktop shortcuts.

"dmtSoftware - Spacemaker" ...useful too ...clean Temp Dir and other Temp dir's...!

And "Spb Fullscreenkeyboard" a very good Tool!!!

"Tillanosoft = notepad" ...Windows like Notepad Freeware quite good!

But really the best and stable Desktop you get with "Face Lift" ...very good!!! When you go to Start/Programs...there comes no new Window, no it is like Win 98 ...a new Bar...understand...!?
So when you click your desierd App "All close...and only the App starts"
In default config you got the "Program Window still open in the Background!"...that eat memory!

This are my absolutly favorit Apps....and sone other...

And you right there are some apps out, when you click them after install your Device will be Formated ... hehe...yes yes that sux hard!

But Sunny Soft Backup is very good for such problems....
It call you by making a backup..."If you need a Setup exe of the Sunny Soft Backup to your Storeage card" ...
So when your Device is complete Formated ...you run from Storage Card
the "Sunny Soft Installer and after that the Backup" ...works perfect!

I test all stupid apps too and i'm no more Fed up with Sunny Soft Backup..
This Software restore your System in minutes...!

A complete new Installation of all apps and config take me at last a full Day ...maybe two....so NO new app installation without a Backup in the Background!!!

.....this is my Pocket Law!!!... :wink:

Lex
01-12-2004, 02:54 AM
BugMe lived up to its name and was Bug-gy for me.

Gave it a long and fair trial, twice. Back & forth emails to the developer, etc., etc. It often didn't sound an alarm when it was supposed to, therefore it was just a drawing application.

It was a nice app for the Palm, it wasn't ready for release to the PPC world.

If it's different now, someone speak up; I own a registered copy so I'll try it again if it works.

JohnnyFlash
01-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks so much you guys. I love this community!!!

Andy Whiteford
01-15-2004, 01:45 PM
BugMe lived up to its name and was Bug-gy for me.

Gave it a long and fair trial, twice. Back & forth emails to the developer, etc., etc. It often didn't sound an alarm when it was supposed to, therefore it was just a drawing application.

It was a nice app for the Palm, it wasn't ready for release to the PPC world.

If it's different now, someone speak up; I own a registered copy so I'll try it again if it works.

Forget BugMe. Get apMemo for free from http://www.apsofts.com/pocketpc

This is a great and for me, rock solid app at no cost!