View Full Version : Subliminal Memory Glasses

Andy Sjostrom
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,1452,61076,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3' target='_blank'>http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0,...tw=wn_tophead_3</a><br /><br /></div>One 1/180 of a second is not a long time. Blink, and there you have it. This is what the article "Memories in the Corner of My Eye" is about as it explains how a PDA can be used to view messages during such a short time span and leaving them in your memory as subliminal messages. Beam me up, Scotty!<br /><br />"Trying to remember a full day's schedule is no mean feat -- especially when it's full of business meetings, grocery shopping, kids' soccer practice and music lessons, and sundry other errands. Help may be on the way from a pair of specs dubbed the memory glasses. The specs have a tiny television screen embedded into one of the lenses and are hooked up to a PDA. The PDA can be programmed to send messages or images to the screen. Each prompt is geared to jog the wearer's memory -- whether it is an image of a soccer ball, the day's calendar or the name of the guy who just said hello. And all of these messages are flashed before the eye at 1/180 of a second, so the wearer isn't even conscious that they have been sent."

karen
11-19-2003, 09:38 PM
GEEK ALERT! GEEK ALERT!!! :roll:

I can't imagine walking around with glass with a tiny television screen in them.

Why not an audible reminder instead of visual?

droppedd
11-19-2003, 09:43 PM
i thought they discounted the subliminal messaging studies that originally had people all abuzz a few decades ago as utter frauds. or at least that's what we learned in Psych 101...
hell, my alarm buzzes loudly and still can't wake me up or remember where to be when; how would subliminal images do anything at all for me? :)

Tierran
11-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Welcome to "Garbage Science 101" :roll:

david291
11-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Here, wear these glasses. I guarantee you'll do better on your final exam.

theone3
11-19-2003, 10:26 PM
:lol:

I wouldn't wear them. I'd be scared about bluejacking, advertising and malicious companies.

If humans have been able to read for milleniums, why can't we read now? :wink:

dangerwit
11-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey, don't knock the glasses. They sound like &lt;hot sex> they could be useful for people &lt;orgy at my place> who have too much &lt;hot sex> to do.

*Phil

:wink:

david291
11-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey, Phil, I don't know why I want to know this, but where do you live?

blade_of_narsil
11-19-2003, 10:40 PM
That sounds like those bug zappers that emit sounds you can't hear. I'll sell you a pocketpc so small you can't see it. I mean really, maybe it works and maybe nothing is happening except that you have to make to-do lists every morning to remind yourself all day, and then you remember making the list everytime you wonder why I am wearing these darn glass with a cord running down my back.

AKBishop
11-19-2003, 11:15 PM
That sounds like those bug zappers that emit sounds you can't hear. I'll sell you a pocketpc so small you can't see it. I mean really, maybe it works and maybe nothing is happening except that you have to make to-do lists every morning to remind yourself all day, and then you remember making the list everytime you wonder why I am wearing these darn glass with a cord running down my back.

I've got a couple of those and they do seem to work. However they work on me, too. They're so annoying that I stay away from them and hang out with the bugs.

ctmagnus
11-20-2003, 12:26 AM
That sounds like those bug zappers that emit sounds you can't hear.

You mean the ones that give me a splitting headache from their incessant high-pitched squeal?

David Prahl
11-20-2003, 12:34 AM
How ironic! I have a test in AP Pyschology (college course in high school) tomorrow, and we've covering subliminal perception.

In one experiment involving a movie theatre, the words "drink coke" and "eat more popcorn" were flashed very quickly every few seconds during every film for several months. Popcorn and Coke sales did slightly improve, but the experiement was far too unscientific to be conclusive.

Just to clarify: Humans perceive and recognize subliminal text, words, or shapes, but that perception is never processed. So by flashing "visit Pocket PC Thoughts" very quickly in front of your eyes, your brain recognizes the words and stores them, but you never realize that you've seen them.

This type of perception can work fairly well in a laboratory setting, but has proven faulty in real-world experiments. The theory is sound, but this kind of application is incorrect.

If nothing else, you'll have a better memory because you'll believe you should. :i got it:

Timothy Rapson
11-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Like many doctoral students, Devaul has decided it is easier to fool people than study. Unfortunately a lot of stupid investors will be probably be taken in, DeVaul will have a lot of fun getting mentioned at PDA sites and being interviewed by the typically gullible reporters.

Some days when I see stories like this I kinda wish I had no integrity and could just run some snakeoil scheme, take the money and still sleep well at night.

David Prahl
11-20-2003, 01:02 AM
Some days when I see stories like this I kinda wish I had no integrity and could just run some snakeoil scheme, take the money and still sleep well at night.

Like Windows 98 First Edition? :lol:

hakeashar
11-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Being forced to see something in you head when it's not manifested by youself, that sounds sick to me. I see how this could work just not with actual text. Imagine walking across a busy street when, for a brief instance, you're distracted by the sudden image of a soccer ball in your brain. Isn't this stuff illegal?

David Prahl
11-20-2003, 03:26 AM
I think the idea behind these glasses is that the "treatment" (?) is voluntary, and users can choose what data they are subjected to.

It's not illegal (as far as I know), because it doesn't work that well! This isn't mind control, and people can't "wardrive your brain."

yunez
11-20-2003, 10:46 AM
sounds like bull. why dont u learn french in your sleep while youre at it

theone3
11-21-2003, 08:10 AM
While I don't believe in sublimial reading, rapid serial visual presentation is fantastic. Check this out (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=522)

It displays words fast enough for you to comprehend them, yet lets you read at about 2x the speed 8O