View Full Version : JVC cancels two first Pocket PCs

Jason Dunn
10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4132.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4132.html</a><br /><br /></div>infoSync World has a quick blurb about a JVC spokesperson confirming that they won't be releasing their line of iO devices this year - instead waiting until next year. :| &lt;sigh> First Gateway, now JVC. What's with these companies announcing things then changing their minds? I have a lot more respect for a company like HP that announces a product right when it's available rather than promoting vapourware. Hopefully when JVC comes back next year they'll be here to stay - the iO looked quite interesting.

Foo Fighter
10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
According to the news blurb they are cancelling their FIRST GENERATION handheld (the one we've seen posted here earlier this year), and waiting until next year when the SECOND GENERATION product is ready. Frankly I think this was a wise move. Their first product was just plain ugly, and big. Hope they get it right the second time. :roll:

powder2000
10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
It's obvious these companies who are new comers to the ppc realm are figuring out they need to offer more at a better price point to be viable. Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things. They may also be waiting on the new ppc os so that they can have some sourt of a level playing field when they announce their release dates, maybe trying to get a jump on the competition. If JVC wants to really release a multimedia ppc, a better screen would definitely be a great selling point.

dean_shan
10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
But it looked so good. :( Oh well, I'm waiting for PPC2k4 for my next device.

Sslixtis
10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things.

JVC MP-PV331 Pocket PC Technical data

Dimensions: 13.2 x 7.6 x 1.7cm
Weight: 170g
Shortcut Keys: Yes
Jog Dial: Yes
Processor: 400 MHz Intel PXA255 XScale
RAM: 128MB
Operating System: Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC
Upgradeable OS: Yes
USB Cradle: Yes
Wireless: 802.11b
Infrared: Yes
Expansions Slots: Compact Flash Type I,II, MMC, SD Card
Screen Size: 3.5 inches
Resolution: 240 x 320
Color: Yes
Speaker: Yes
Microphone: Yes
Earphone Jack: Yes
Battery Type: 1100 mAh Lithium Polymer
And it had a flip cover like the Jornada!

I feel totally sold out by JVC, this device was the only reason I waited to buy a new PPC. They will have to come out with a device twice as good as the competition and at the exact time i'm ready to buy, i'll not wait on any device by them again, ever! They have only proven to me that their word means nothing and they are not to be trusted.

surur
10-01-2003, 05:49 PM
I must say I feel sorry that JVC decided to quit the market for this pocketpc, which came to the table with a really innovative angle, that of being first of all a multimedia (especially video) device.

I wonder if it is not directly due to the panning this device received on the premier pocketpc news forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com), where everybody said *nobody* will buy it, and this was mainly due to the appearance, of the device, not the features. Obviously it was already at an advanced state of development, and cancelling it now indicates that JVC did not want to throw good money after bad.

My main concern is that this is a trend. In combination with Toshiba, it means 2 far eastern manufacturers are intending to get out of the pocketpc market (surely toshiba is going that way, and I'm not convinced JVC is really going to release a so-called 2nd generation device). It could turn pocketpc into a version of the x-box: big in america, but not adopted anywhere else. And I dont think this is ultimately a good thing for the future.

So next time some-body comes out with an innovative device, lets rather encourage them, and give then a chance to work out the kinks while in the market, as apposed to not entering the market at all.

My 2c :)

Surur

whydidnt
10-01-2003, 05:54 PM
At least the JVC model was offering something a little different than the rest, with it's video centric capabilities. At the end of the day though, I imagine they decided there wasn't a big enough market for such a specialized PPC. I too, am disappointed, but hopefully the statement about 2nd generation devices means there is some true innovation coming down the road for our PPC's.

In a lot of ways I think this is showing that the PPC market is starting to mature. Electronics companies can't just slap their name on a generic device and sell it through their normal channels. Consumers are starting to demand that the new devices be something different than a new paint job and updated processor.

Whydidnt

Crystal Eitle
10-01-2003, 10:18 PM
:mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

This was the only Pocket PC in the works that had all the features I wanted. Guess I'll have to hang on to my good 'ol iPaq 1910 for a while.

Given my financial situation, perhaps that's for the best.

bbarker
10-01-2003, 10:30 PM
And it had a flip cover like the Jornada!
That was its best feature and the main reason I was looking for this model. But when their release date came and went it was clear something was up. Too bad.

Gremmie
10-02-2003, 03:49 AM
It's obvious these companies who are new comers to the ppc realm are figuring out they need to offer more at a better price point to be viable. Both JVC and Gateway were planning to release two non-wireless handhelds at a higher price than similar offerings from Dell and HP(forget about Toshiba). It looks like they are either thinking twice about entering the market or are refining their designs so that they can actually sell the things.

Uh, given the reaction here and the previous anticipation, I'm not sure if demand was the problem. It's not uncommon for things to be cancelled, I think they just might have pulled the trigger early when announcing it. I would probably chalk it up to internal costing and parts availability. And nothing from Dell can compare feature-wise with the wireless and unique features (i.e. on board USB).

arb
10-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Hello:
JVC's unit was not very well thought of in terms of asthetics. People on forums keep striving for a GAMEBOY PDA. One of the only designs that will satisfy these people is the Casio Layout. From what I see in the specs, there is no difference from HP's iPaq line to others in the mix, that makes it unattractive to buyers especially corporate buyers.

From what I read it will have a "JVC" standard type video play back program ( Big Deal) and other things that will make it a "Video centric" Device, something about being able to hook your Digital Camcorder to it? Why..

JVC's thinking to delay shipping this unit was a good idea. They really need to think about more realistic features that will appeal to everyone, no just one person.

(LOOX is on the right track)
(Toshiba needs to rethink the WiFi only build in their units)
(Asus, just make it for other companies and stop trying to make your own brand)

That is my 2 cents